Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Birthday Craft

As per usual I didn't end up making as much for Louise as I'd planned.  At the last minute I simply couldn't find that dang zipper for the sleeping bag and the roving never got purchased for the felted elephants...there's always Christmas though, right?

Still I got the most important things done and just in time.  First on the list was a backpack for Louise for playschool.  while not entirely necessary at this stage I think it makes her feel like a big kid to wear one to school and a bit secure knowing that a lovie, a drink and a snack are always close at hand.


I used the same pattern I used for Ainsley's backpack and loved making it just as much as hers.  I skipped all of the interfacing mainly because I've found that with two layers of thick fabric it's sturdy enough without it and much easier to sew.  For her bag I used another pair of Ian's old corduroys.  I love the texture and sturdiness they lend to the construction.  For the front and lining I used an old shirt of mine that's soft as can be.  I just sewed the button band right up adding a cute little chevron pattern with the machine for detail.  For the front pocket and back I cut up and old crazy pillowcase I found last winter at the economy shop.  I knew I'd find a good use for that cooky print some day!  I love how it turned out and Louise seems pretty please too.


Next up, clothes!  Being the second girl in our house Louise has precious few "new" duds all her own.  While I don't mind, in fact LOVE, that we need to buy very little for her, it's still fun to get something new, albeit mama made every once in a while.

I made her a new fall sweater with lucious superwash merino by Madeline Tosh and the tiny tea leaves cardigan by the same designer.  I LOVE this sweater, good thing too as I'm currently half done with one for Ainsley and even have yarn for myself for this very pattern waiting upstairs.  It knitted up so quick and cute with just enough detail to look a bit fancy when need be, yet sturdy enough for everyday wear and washing.  I can't wait for cooler weather so it can be worn and loved!



And then of course another pair of quick change trousers.  Most of my free time is spent finding fabric combinations for new pairs of these pants.  They're addicting to make and so cute to wear (even if a few of them that I've gifted have been misinterpreted as jammie pants...these pants were meant to be seen people!).


This pair is flannel lined with an old plaid shirt of Ian's and a remnant of a lusciously soft flannel I found at the economy shop last season.  The front is some leftover cotton from some curtains I have yet to hang for Ainsley's room and the yoke it one of my FAVORITE prints from a scrap pile I ordered from Alewives (my favorite economical way to acquire beautiful designer fabric for a steal).

I love these pants!!!

And last but not least, Ainsley's gift.

I sat down with Ainsley about a month back and we went through all of my sewing books, talking about what she would like to make for Louise.  She immediately honed in on Henny Penny for Handmade Beginnings and thus, this adorably soft mama hen and six tiny chicks were hatched.


Ainsley had a bast helping me pick out the fabric from our basement stash and even trace a cut a few pieces out.  She is desperate to sew all on her own, but for now is content enough to sit on my lap or next to me while I execute her plan.  Someday soon big girl!



The tiny chicks nestle neatly under their mamas wings on a hidden velcro strip.  Louise has been sleeping with Henny Penny ever since and every morning I've found all the chick next to her in bed.  What a sweet clever toy!

Ah, as much as I love making gifts I'm thankful for a bit of a break now.  That was one busy summer of sewing and crafting!  You're worth it Louise :o) and you too all you end of summer/early fall birthdays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.