Monday, August 27, 2012

Louise is Two!

I have no idea how this happened, how my baby turned two.  I told her over and over, whispered in her ear countless times that she was not allowed to grow up, commanded her to stay small and baby as long as she could.  Ah, but they rarely listen, do they?


Really the growing is wonderful.  Our sweet Louise talks in full sentences, sings all the live long day, dances and jumps, runs and climbs, draws and draws with tidy little marks.  She is so independent and joyful and sweet.  Her sister and she disappear countless times in a day just to play on their own, make mischief and wonder and fun.  I'm not needed so much anymore, except of course for those morning " Mama, mama, I love you mama" snuggles and those "lay down mama, read books and sings songs" goodnights.  It's so wonderful to see my little lady emerging.

We got to celebrate our sweet Louise turning two over and over again, one of the perks to an end of summer birthday I suppose.  First in Minnesota with Aunties and Uncles and Grammy and Pop, Nana and Grandpa Dan too. Then here in our home with good friends and sun, and then again with just us 5 (yes Auntie Sonya too).  Each celebration was special and simple and good.  In the end it's all about this little one of ours and her growing up and reveling in the wonder of a whole new year.

For Louise's friend party I wanted to keep it simple and all about the things my girl loves most, so Eggs and Elephants it was!  I planned a few simple activities (felt elephant masks and flower arranging), lots of food and fun (egg cupcakes, fruit wands, popcorn trail mix, and a few rounds of toddler musical chairs), kept the decorations simple (punching balloons and fan flowers hung from our laundry line).  We had a blast!


I FINALLY made a birthday crown for Louise, something I've been wanting to do with both girls for quite some time now.  It really was so simple and quick and I love that I can just keep adding a star each year to mark her age and the elastic should work forever!












On her actual birthday we woke up us four and showered our dumpling with treasures.  Ainsley was desperate to be first.  She and I had worked hard on her gift and it was delightful to see her so excited to share her gift.

After a few gifts and pancakes we dolled up and loaded up heading off to Cantigny Gardens and a diner lunch out in Wheaton.  As we sang along merrily to Mr Rogers in the car the skies opened up and the rain did not let up, so we revamped and spent the morning perusing books at Barnes and Nobel, then dashed to the Cheesecake Factory in a full out downpour for birthday lunch.  We had such fun despite the rain.


Louise trying some of Ian's coke, those bubbles are so silly





After good naps and cheesecake snack we continued the celebration, opening the rest of the gifts and delighting in it all.




these poly dot markers were a big hit






Dinner was mac and cheese and hot dogs, OF COURSE, per Louise's request.  I made homemade, much to Ian's chagrin, but I just can't pass up the opportunity to make fancy mac and cheese.


cake time!








What a fun week of celebrating we've had.  Now we're enjoying our one day of calm until playschool starts for my little girl tomorrow.  I can hardly believe it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.