Wednesday, August 22, 2012

End of Summer

We got in yesterday afternoon after a solid 8 hour drive.  Ian insisted I call him, letting him know when we were close so he could greet us.  We dove into our boy's arms and relished in the togetherness that has been so fleeting this summer.  It's been hard, it conitnues to be hard, but boy does it make those moments shine.

This morning I awoke before them all.  So rested from sleeping in my own bed.  I made a cup of cinamon vanilla tea, too smitten to be annoyed that Ian forgot to replenish the coffee (ok, maybe a LITTLE annoyed :o).  Once the girls and Ian arose we went about our normal morning ritual, Ian left promplty at 7:45 and us girls stirred up the oatmeal.  We watched as the throngs of children paraded to school, sparkling backpacks and bulging school sacks in hand.  

It's fall, well almost.  Still, time to reflect on summer, this long hard wonderful summer.  I must admit, I'm nostalgic already.  This fall and coming year brings so many changes for our little family.  I'm taking a moment now just to relish in what has been.

The weather at the cabin was cooler this past trip, but marvelous all the same.  The girls didn't mind the chill in the water and the wild woods and crackling fires made up for any clouds.

::my sweet swimming Louise::


::to prove I wore a swimsuit too a bit!::


::the beautiful woods::



::exploring::







::keeping warm::


::knitting, a fire, and anne shirley, perfection::


::Ainsley always managed to creep over to Louise's bed, my heart melted every night::


::Grammy story time::


::having fun with Auntie Jooj::


::Itasca County Fair::













::mid day fire and knitting, can I spend every nap time this way?::


On this trip I tried the girls in the same room for the first time.  It was a wild success.  Ainsley was the perfect tiny mother singing Louise to sleep and egging her on in mischief.  I nearly always found them curled up next to each other in the same bed when I went in to kiss them goodnight.  Ah my big girls, such friends those two are turning out to be.

On this trip we made lots of fires.  Fires indoors and out, for s'more-ing and for warmth.  It got down to the 40s some night and it was beyond delightful to need those extra sweaters and socks I packed just in case.

On this trip I knit like a madwoman.  I'm determined to finish Louise's sweater for her birthday on Sunday...with a few other last minute project musts we'll see what gets done!

On this trip I forgot books. Not for the girls, oh no, but for me.  So I scrounged around the old cabin and found a few Reader's Digest Condensed books...oh man, I forgot how great those are and how WEIRD Stepford Wives is.  Amazing.

On this trip we ventured south to the Itasca County Fair.  After missing the state fair in MN for 4 straight years that corn dog couldn't have tasted better.  We took Louise on her first rides (she's a BIG fan) and Auntie Jooj took Ainsley on her first big girl ride (eh, not so much).  We saw tons of cute animals and enjoyed the general spirit of fun.

On this trip we took many walks, picked wildflowers and the few raspberries that we could find.  We splashed and drove boats, snuggled in the cool mornings and spent one dark rainy day watching all our old favorite shows (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Anne of Green Gables).

On this trip I was reminded so much of the trips we used to take as children.  It felt slower and easier than past trips.  Perhaps it's that my girls continue to grow so and don't need me every minute for every little thing.  I see years and years ahead for us, enjoying this place.  I just hope Ian can come next time, and I know he hopes too.

What a great way to end the summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.