Friday, January 6, 2012

Hump Day Nuggets:: Resolutions

I totally spaced on nuggets this week.  I of course missed last week while we were in MN for the holidays, and you'd think with two little sickies underfoot and being indoors straight for 4 days I'd find the time.  Guess not!

So here we go, bits and pieces of this week, back home, not at all in the action, and feeling really weird about this spring weather in January (seriously, I can't bring myself to take the girls to the park, it's just TOO weird?!?!)

Nuggets::
The Quiet Book!  I of course had to share the completed project.  I must say I'm pleased.  It's homemade (and looks it!) functional and pretty darn cute if I do say so myself.  I love that Ainsley can grow into it and I constructed it in such a way that I can keep adding pages if I want (although that may be a while, this was time consuming, but SO worth it).

I made the cover out of quilted material, edged and stitched in place with ties to close it and keep all those tiny pieces in their places!


 The counting page!  The first one I made.


 Ainsley eyeing the flower page, I believe it's her favorite (mine too!).  The flowers have slits to go on and off the buttons.  Ainsley LOVES putting all the flowers in the little basket on the adjoining page and works hard and calmly to get them all on those big wooden buttons.  I got the cute fabric from a grab bag I bought for $5 on alewives.com.  Beautiful expensive fabric in cheap scrap form.  I really loved those fabrics for a fun pop of color and design.

Ok, this is getting way too long winded.  I'll just let the photos speak for themselves. Just know I REALLY loved making this and I'm glad Ainsley likes it too.








Ahh, nothing quite like working hard on a gift for someone you love.  It's addicting I tell you, and really really rewarding.

Nuggets::
All this indoor time with sniffles and coughs and snuggles and sleep has been punctuated with whole periods of absolute cuteness and delight.  The girls (and I) are so glad to be home.  In our comfy familiar home with fun new things to do and play and each other to keep company with.  It hasn't been such a bad week.
::YaWeez mid sensory, look at that mischief in her eyes::


 ::cold walk before the heat wave, just to get out and enjoy that sun!::


 ::enjoying new bath toys, apparently as a snack::


 ::really sad that I took her markers away::

 Nuggets::
Yesterday I'd had enough and decided we simply HAD to get out.  So we wagon-ed over to the conservatory and let the hot humid air clear our heads (and noses).  It was Louise's first trip sans back pack.  I took a deep breath, let them loose and laughed as they ran in opposite directions.  At the end I kind of gave up and let them roam, within reason.  That cactus room is scary with two running kiddos!

::carefully circling items on her scavenger hunt while little sis makes a beeline for the next room:


 ::counting all the fishies::


 ::happy Louise, toddling and teetering on the hills, pointing and squawking at the birds "Hi birdie!!"::


 ::Louise intent on more bird action, Ainsley off with glee::


:: a little sidewalk play time in the sun::

 Nuggets::
Ainsley's sweater is done!  After how long it took me to make Ian's he was amazed/jealous that it was a 4 day project (me too actually, I guess that's what I've been up to with all this indoor time!).  Really, I LOVE baby/kid knitting.  So quick and cute and easy. I'm making Louise a matching sweater with a different yarn and may even tweak the pattern to make one for myself.
The pattern is in threes from ravelry.  Love love love it.



 ::Louise was raging with jealousy::


 ::Ainsley is thrilled with the sweater, and popped it on as soon as the buttons were sewn (which I did during breakfast, she was SO excited!  we couldn't wait!) but wouldn't let me take a good photo of her in it, so I did what I could::


 ::you think maybe they're under the weather?::


 ::look at those tired sick eyes::

 Nuggets::
One of my resolutions is to really buckle down with our food budget.  With so many fixed bills it's the one place I can really make a significant cut and I'm doing my best.  It's hard though when I care so much about the type and quality of food that we eat.  I was pleased this week that I was able to keep our spending under $100 (quite the feat for a family of 4) AND buy all the stuff we needed.  I bought two good meats, lots of veggies and good eggs and cheese, baked a LOT of bread and made a big old pot of soup.  We've eaten well and haven't strained the budget.  It definitely takes some work but I'm glad to do it to keep my family healthy!

My favorite this week ended up being a throw together quiche.  We eat eggs for dinner about once a week because they're a cheap healthy protein, but scrambles and omlettes were getting old.  So I tried this and we LOVED it.


Cheese and Chard Quiche

1 baked pie crust (I love Ina Garten's)
1 small chopped onion
2-3 chopped garlic cloves
1 large bunch swiss chard (or spinach or other green) washed and chopped with stems removed
1 cup cheese (I used dubliner, but swiss or any good sharp cheese would be yummy)
6 eggs
1 cup milk

Saute onions and garlic in a little olive oil and butter until soft, add chard in batches and let it wilt.  Take off heat.
In separate bowl mix eggs and milk with some salt and pepper, add cheese and chard mixture.  Pour into baked crust and bake 30-35 minutes at 375.

The leftovers are great for lunch!

Well there are nuggets.  Here's hoping the girls' colds leave them soon and we get some snow!  I never thought I'd be so excited for a good dump of snow but I am BEYOND ready.

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Oh I love the quiet book! I don't think I have the ambition to start one though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had one of those when I was little... I wish I could put something together like that! Maybe with my sis over now, I can learn to craft? We'll see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the greatest homemaker on the face of the planet. When I tell people I dream of being a stay at home mom and ramble about domesticity being Al loss st at, THIS is what I'm speaking of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the book! Ainsley is one lucky little girl.

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.