Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy New Year

Before delving in this morning I decided to re-read my January 1st post from last year.  I had a hunch that I was feeling similar sentiments and didn't want to completely repeat myself.  So glad I did.

Despite the girls growing like flowering weeds, settling further into this home away from home and ourselves, not so much has changed this year.  I still find myself aching for simplicity, simultaneously overwhelmed and excited by all the promise and possibility this new year brings.

::ringing in the new year with good friends, lots of dips, and of course new toys::


 ::my poor sicky new years girls::


 ::so thankful for a stocked pantry on forced indoors days, 
Who Bread from the machine filled our bellies! 
(and that baking spice from penzeys you see is new new staple...amazing!)::


::our new camera!  more on this to come, but I couldn't resist::


 ::full happy home of new games and activities, 
while Ainsley's new favorite, Admiral, watches over all::


I really toned down on the holiday prep this year, quite on purpose.  I wanted to enjoy the time with my girls, not flustered about getting this and that done.  As a result there is still lots to do, or lots that could be done.  Last year I remembered feeling so dejected after the quick holiday with a long indoors winter ahead of us.  This year I saved some projects and tricks to keep us excited about the cold and snow (which isn't hard since we've had so little of both!)

In addition we're facing the last year of Ian's PhD, lots of changes in our future, and a bit of a crunch in the meantime.  I feel extra thankful this year for a generous Christmas and optimistic that we can make it until d-day on very little.  I received a new sewing machine as an early birthday present, that coupled with a trip to a fabric outlet while in MN and some photocopied patterns from library books should give us all the new duds we need for spring and summer.  I've started in on the girls' new sweaters and am pleased with how swiftly they're moving along.  I have fabric cut for buckets for the girls' new toys to aid in this desperate need of mine to organize and stacks of fabric just waiting to be turned into curtains, dresses, pants and tunics for the coming months.


:: a few standard calico's for skirts and lots of beautiful batiks.  
I'm envisioning sundresses and maybe even a skirt for myself?::


I'm at a place right now where I feel calm and secure, which is weird for me.  I find I don't spend so much time worrying and planning for this and that.  Partly because I'm learning that life is fluid and changing and constantly revamping and rearranging is part of it all.  To fight it is not only futile but exhausting.  And mostly? because I don't want to spend my time worrying and scurrying, but savoring life in this place with my loves.  I'm learning that this hibernation that winter necessitates is perfect for such slowness and purposefully spent time.  I feel almost as excited for the months to come as those that just passed in the holiday spirit.

::nothing like finding some frozen blueberry pancakes 
in the freezer for surprise breakfast to start the day with a smile::


::dried noodle and play dough play to fill a morning well::


::my newest sous chef, always desperate to help, she's quite good at the salt sprinkle 
(notice the new dutch oven...I'm in love::


::runny nosed winter cold walk, in awe of their park under construction 
and the bright blue sky above::


Today I am thankful for the sun and the cold both to remind us of the brightness and lightness and joy of this season right now, for a break in our scheduled activities to just enjoy our home and all our new fun treasures, and even a bit for the sniffles, for they slow us down and let us snuggle and linger.  I'm loving winter.
Happy new year indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.