Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Perfect Present

"There's a crisp in the air, from I don't know where, but it might be a snowsong whistling. It flits and it purls while it lifts and curls and it could be a snowsong whistling" ~ Elisa Kleven

It's that time of year again. Leaves falling, air and apples crisping, woolens wearing and warming. The holidays are near.

Like most, I love this time of year. I salivate over everything pumpkin and sweet, light candles and play festive tunes daily, snuggle longer in the morning under warm flannel covers. Everything is a bit slower in the fall. It takes longer to get out of the house with all those layers to adorn, longer to get in the car with straps to adjust and children to hoist in their bulk, longer to motivate to get out in this chill. Yet the cool air refreshes quicker than the summer stifle. As soon as cheeks redden we feel rejuvenated. Cocoa and tea warm our frozen fingers, and our happy home warms our souls.

Aside from all this cooler weather fun, the impending holidays leave me scouring for the perfect present(s). As a child I so anticipated Christmas. The whole ritual of decorating and lingering and singing and yummy goodies, shopping for loved ones and keeping secrets, wrapping presents with care and eyeing the ones marked with my name. What treasures did they hold? It was the one day a year that we got things just because, the one day to get a bit spoiled and at the same time eagerly gave gifts made or bought with great thought and care.

The magic of this time of year is the anticipation and wonder. The hours spent bent over a sewing machine, hands cramping from tiny knitting needles, scouring books and sites for grand and unique ideas, this is where the true magic and love lie.

So here I sit on the other side. Playing Santa for my two little girls. I have so many expectations for their holiday. So many things I want them to experience and feel. As I agonize over the "what" and the "how" I am reminded that it's not so much the gift, as all that goes into it and all that it represents.

This holiday season I am excited to mostly make the presents I intend to give. To be reminded that it's the thought and care that count. To relish in the fact that all too soon the girls will have lists and lists of "wants" and that now is the time to establish a balance of simple thoughtful gifts and a bit of spoiling too. I'm excited for another Christmas with my two little sweet ones. Wonder in Ainsley's eyes and joy in Louise's.

What are your holiday traditions? Favorite gifts given or received? I hope this time of year finds you all in great spirits with joyful thankful hearts, like it finds me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.