Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Hump Day Nuggets: A new Groove

I write a whole lot about groove, rhythm and routine. Have you noticed?

Perhaps it's because it's still so bizarre sometimes to be HERE; married, with two kids and a mortgage. Not THERE; school, fun, friends, homework even (goodness how I miss writing a good essay somedays).

I was THERE for so long. We all were. That culture of classes and extra curriculars, part time coffee shop jobs and ample time for socializing and laze (at least compared to now). I find myself lusting over the good old college days always, but especially in the fall.

But this is not unique to me as a parent. I think we all feel it. Whether new or "experienced" in this adult world.

After that rough day a while ago I found myself pondering my life choices yet again. Why did I want kids SO badly? What was the rush? If I'm honest I ask myself that a lot after a rough day, or week, have even found myself counseling others to hold off a bit unless they are REALLY 100% sure, because man it's hard.

But I REALLY REALLY wanted this and I still do. Even on the hardest LONGEST days there is no where I'd rather be than here with my family, singing and dancing, cooking and laughing, playing and loving on each other. It's a great new groove we're in.

Nuggets::

Ainsley drew her first official portrait just this morning. Big circles have been her favorite subject for some time. Sometimes they morph into faces other times "It's just a design mom. I don't know" But today it was purposeful and recognizable and amazing "Look mama! I drew daddy. With two eyes and big smile face and lots of purple hair. Oh, and two legs, but I drew lots because I really like legs." Pretty great right?

All this heat has kept us outside playing, not inside making, but we've still found time to knock a few new crafts off our list. Ainsley loved making these handprint trees and that glitter pumpkin. There they sit amongst drying diapers and aired out picnic blankets. Just as early fall should look.
::Gearing up for the holidays with coloring, I've found it's the best way to explain things for Ainsley and she loves loves loves it::

::Halloween must be right around the corner, look at that spider!::

Nuggets::

This new groove fills time so easily. I am going to be one of those parents this winter, CRYING over the loss of park play. The girls will happily play for hours, in the sand, out of the sand, down the slides, back and forth on the swings. Running running, basking in the sun, tactile glorious social PARKS. We're soaking up every last moment we can.




Oh and the leaves. Their crunch and smell. I need not explain anything about leaves to either of my girls. They see a clump on the sidewalk, a pile in our yard, a single solitary GORGEOUS red one floating through the air. They are entranced. They know to stop and observe, look and crunch because it's magical. Oh so magical.


Nuggets::

The costume has been made. It's been talked about for weeks. She'd made up her mind. We bought the necessary materials and scavenged my fabric stash for the rest. This morning we went for it. Cutting and pinning, singing along to music and smiling in anticipation of the cuteness to come. And oh it's cute. So so cute.

::Ah ha! Mama! I'm a penguin. A real black penguin! Can you call me Waddle? Because penguin's waddle so my name's Waddle."

::World, meet Waddle. The happiest penguin ever."

She insisted on wearing the costume the WHOLE morning despite the 80 degree heat. People were big fans of my little penguin while out and about this morning. I'm a big fan of hers too.

So life is good. Ainsley is manageable, even over the top adorable lately. She is loving playschool and all of her new little pals. She is so funny and quick and keeps life interesting and amazing. Louise is as sweet and chatty and cautious as ever. We've given up trying to entice her to walk unassisted. She can cruise like the wind across furniture or with her walker. She can fly holding on to only my pinky. She'll be one of those who lets go when she's good and ready and KNOWS she won't fall because goodness that baby HATES to fall. Just like her mama.

But you know what YaWeez? We all fall sometimes and sure it may hurt a little, but you brush it off and you get back up. Because right around the corner is something great, ALWAYS, I promise you.

Happy Hump Day out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.