Friday, October 21, 2011

Perfect Fall Day

I feel like I whine a lot about the weather (like most I'm afraid). Spring and fall are too short, summer and winter WAY TOO LONG. I want to take a moment and remember this beautiful amazing fall. For even if it snows, or bakes tomorrow, it's been grand.

Today was the end of a long week (is there ever a Friday that is NOT at the end of a LONG week?). I have a new resolve to get most of the chores done on Friday so that I can really enjoy my weekend with my family. So amongst playing and outings and fun and crafts I launder and scrub and tidy. Today was no exception.

Louise has been off. I can't quite pinpoint it. Event though she JUST cut two new teeth she's drooling like mad and has the stuffiest nose I've ever encountered. I'm going to go with a good old fashioned cold and at least 1 new tooth waiting to make it's breakthrough. At any rate, she's needed more sleep, more cuddles and LOTS of wiping. It made today even more interesting.

This morning she napped, Ainsley and I played. I channeled pippi longstocking and got her involved in the cleanup. That child could spray a spray bottle ALL DAY LONG. Then I worked out with Ainsley mimicking my every move (made it through level three of "THE Shred"...oh goodness). We put up new coat hooks in our entryway (because I think our winter jackets had babies over the summer...goodness we have SO many coats!), moved furniture to properly, thoroughly dust and sweep, swiffered and scrubbed, washed and folded. It was an amazingly productive morning.

Kind of overnight Ainsley has become a preschooler. She spends whole chunks of time on her own, doing her own stuff. Just yesterday I was cooking with Louise in Ainsley's normal spot on the stepladdar "helping" stir and dump to make cornbread and Ainsley was lounging in a teenager like slump on the big comfy chair. "Ainsley, do you want to come help mama cook?" "no mama, I'm pretty busy over here." It's dawned on me that she won't always want to be with me, do things with me. It's bizarre and a bit sad, but wonderful too. I love watching her imagination develop, see what she gravitates towards. Right now it's still all party shoes and leotards, singing "Doe a deer mama, with Freuyine Mia", musikgarten songs at the top of her lungs and her lamby (well, Louise's lamby that Ainsley traded her similarly branded bunny for...what? I told her if Louise was cool with it, I was).

The beauty of that moment is that it seved as the jumpstart I needed. The "get in gear" that I've so been needing. While I can't do it all, I can do what matters. Having the most fun with my girls that I possibly can, while they still want to have it with me.

So instead of delving into the MANY projects I want to accomplish before the holiday we went to the conservatory. Our amazing tiny beautiful conservatory that I'd all but forgotten about during the long stifling summer. Oh goodness...










::just taking a break from all that exploring::

::Louise was entranced with the talking birds,
she repeated every word and sound they made::



::out little AMAZING conservatory::

::can you see the Willis tower?
Our view of downtown Chicago from the closest intersection to our house...
there's a fire department just adjacent
and Ainsley chats with the firemen whenever possible.

::one block from home, pool and park to the left, montessori straight ahead,
all kinds of beautiful yards and rocks to ravage and skip amongst along the way::


We spent an hour and a half running along the paths, counting fish and finding colors, poking prickly cacti and talking to Jane, the amazingly sweet inquisitive patient botanist. We talked to the birds, mimicked their sounds and wing flaps, played hide and seek between rooms, sweated in the humidity and smiled. Did I mention the conservatory is TWO blocks from our house?

I love home.

We rounded out the afternoon with an hour long scoot bike ride/stroller walk. Poor Louise wanted nothing to do with her trusty bunny walker and lounged as Ainsley booted and scooted. She's getting so confident in her biking and LOVES every moment.

I love every moment too. Of this perfect fall day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.