Friday, October 14, 2011

IKEA morning

We all have our "things" as parents. Our struggles and setbacks. Mine has been getting out with the girls, or was at least when Ainsley was new.

I've always been a homebody. Like a mega-almost-always-would-rather-be-comfy-cozy-in-my-house-doing-comfy-cozy-things-rather-than-be-out-and-about kind of homebody.

In our early married days we went downtown a bit, but not much, opting instead for quiet nights at home or dinners out within walking distance. I always enjoy going out, finding new places, visiting old favorites, but home is where it is for me.
Adding a newborn to this homebody's routine back in 2008 was a rockin' change. Adding a VERY loud opinionated from the get go newborn was a whole new story again. I found my anxiety shooting through the roof just to go out and get groceries, let alone get out for fun. What fun? I was too busy worried about Ainsley crying or needing to be fed or changed of barfing all over everything for the MILLIONTH time to have much fun while out (did I ever tell you about that time we went to the local high school's book fair and Ainsley barfed into an ENTIRE box of books whilst in the front pack and I panicked and just ran away? Ahh, the high points of parenthood).

But then she grew up and so did I. She's actually always done great out and Louise, in typical 2nd child fashion will happily go wherever we take her. So we get out a whole lot now and it's great and mostly easy and fun.

This morning was one of those mornings with nothing much on the docket. Tired after a full week (and me on day 6 of the 30 day shred...getting a bit tired in the ole quads I am) I was pondering how to fill the morning. We needed a few things for the house, and I've been wanting to go for a while so I packed up a big bag of food and distractions and we loaded the car for the 45 minute drive to our local IKEA.

It was AMAZING.

Who knew IKEA was so family friendly and delicious and enjoyable? (on a weekday of course when the crowds were sparse) We've been to IKEA lots. Started our newlywed furniture collection there like most. But you know, usually you tolerate IKEA, you don't necessarily enjoy it. You weave through the maze, lose that precious paper list with all your aisle and bin numbers just in time to pass by the huge flat bed carts that don't handle well. The lines are long, the loads are heavy, the assembly feels impossible. But you save money and the stuff is cute so we suffer through.

Not today. Today I strapped toddler 1 to my back and let toddler 2 wander within reason. We spent a good 20 minutes just running through rooms. Ainsley tried out every bed, opened every drawer, loved EVERY minute. When I asked her to follow me she did. I kept my list short and succinct. When I needed to browse I carted her and she happily obliged, in awe of it all. We found amazingly cute CHEAP stuff for Christmas and the kitchen. FINALLY got some quality folding chairs so people don't have to sit on our falling apart ones any more. After checking out and lugging it all to the car we turned back around and headed in again for food. After using the amazingly equipped (and clean) family bathroom we loaded our fun little food cart with swedish meatballs, potatoes and lingonberries. Ainsley picked out our red benched table and we noshed. It was yummy and delightful. We chatted all the way home about the fun food carts, lingonberry soda, and cheap delicious milk chocolate. Ainsley was SO excited for her scissors we found for 1.49 (she's outgrown her "baby" ones) and for the cute crocodile mirror we got for her room.

So now, not only do we get out, but we make errands events, productions even. Ikea even felt magical to me this morning, seen through the eyes of my girls. It's like a million little playhouses set up perfectly just for them, and yummy food to boot. What's not to love?

Oh how I love a good full productive easy fun morning. Thank you IKEA.

1 comment:

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.