Tuesday, March 8, 2011

No Schedule? No Problem!

It's been a good day.

2 weeks and change until we're in sunny Florida, a light at the end of this long snowy winter tunnel if you will, is really helping to liven my spirits and re-energize me. (Well that and the fact that Ian got up with Louise to feed her at 5am so I could sleep in...amazing what a few extra hours of sleep can do for morale).

The girls and I took a walk to the post office to send back the teddy bear look alike fleece that was too big (seriously, whenever Ainsley saw it she said "teddy baher!") and stopped at the conservatory on the way back. I let Ainsley splash in the puddles and run around like a mad woman. Louise giggled at the bird noises and grabbed at every leaf she could get her hands on.
When we got home we headed down to the basement to sort through toys and clothes (a never ending chore and we're only 26 months into this!).

It's nice to have a "normal" non chaotic day.

I appreciate being a stay at home mom for so many reasons, one of which is the freedom of our schedule. I, like so many new moms, struggled with finding a balance with my baby's and my needs at the beginning. When Ainsley was born it took me months to feel like we had a solid routine that worked for both of us, and then inevitably the routine would change. A growth spurt would hit, a tooth would break through, a vacation would happen and our perfect schedule would be lost.

It used to drive me so crazy. I craved, NEEDED my routine and when it was rocked I felt so lost. I never realized what a control freak I was, until I had children.

Up until you have children your life is your own. You can eat when you're hungry, sleep when you're tired, exercise when the spirit moves you, heck even have a BM when the urge arises. All of that changes when you have a child. Their needs are your needs, their schedule is your schedule. It's a really really hard adjustment.

But I adjusted. Once I gave up any hope of my schedule being my own life flowed again. I relished in the two naps a day (Ainsley's not mine), the need to get outside more, stay active and excited and interested.

I find that "the schedule" is a hot topic among parents. When the baby eats, sleeps, poos, cries, plays, and learns all seem to be part of a regimented routine in most households. Not ours. While Louise and Ainsley go to sleep at the same time every night that is just about the only thing that we can count on being the same every day.

Sure, we have a flow of events, a series of outings, chores and necessities that occur similarly most days. But no two days are identical. I believe that children do benefit from a routine, knowing what comes next, but I also enjoy our freedom to do the unexpected and want our girls to be flexible (unliketheirmother). Life isn't a routine. Some days you're tired, or have extra energy, have more things to do, or not a care in the world.

Rather than agonize over our lack of a schedule I've found myself relishing in the possibilities of each day, most days. The girls are always growing and changing, as am I as a person, Ian and I as a couple, and our family as a whole. Of course each day, each week, each month, can't be the same. Those long lazy days make the full ones extra special and fun and possible. Just like our big walk and double outings this morning makes this afternoon nap a must.

I am thankful to get to be at home with my girls and have great days like today, maybe I do wish this was routine?

2 comments:

  1. I am admittedly envious you and Ian have made it work for you to be at home. I thought I would be at least a little eager to go back to work, but the thought of it just makes me sick. Honestly, the more I am home and realize how much better everything flows when you don't have to have a schedule the more I wish we could make it work. Maybe when we get to baby #2. You have two incredibly blessed little girls! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll do great and the time away from Briony will make you savor every moment. That's one thing I find I need sometimes, distance to make the heart grow fonder. There's good and bad things to both sides of the spectrum I'm afraid. I'm sure the adjustment will go as smoothly as it can!

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.