Sunday, August 22, 2010

Anticipation

I have my 36 week appointment tomorrow. I'll be 37 weeks (full term!) on Friday, that's a mere 4 more days on bedrest. I can hardly believe it's almost here!

I thought I was going into labor last night. I had about 2 hours worth of painful contractions and in general feeling icki-ness which thankfully subsided around midnight so I could get some sleep. I am still really sore in general and will be thankful to make it to full term. I maintain that this baby could come at any minute.

Poor Ainsley has a bad cold. She is completely stuffed up and has started getting a cough. Other than being up a bit at night with discomfort she's been a real trooper. She's started putting two words together. Her new favorite is to sing "nighnight ..... (baby, dada, mama, gaga, arm, shirt, anything really) over and over. It's adorable. She's started entertaining us with her keyboard skills and rhythmic dancing after she's done eating and we're still at the table during dinner. Also pretty ridiculously cute.

I have had more and more moments recently of realization that soon we are going to have two babies (Ainsley would hate that I'm calling her a baby) instead of one and the implications of that on our everyday life. As my mom has been here for FOREVER I'm expecting her to see her new granddaughter, get a good snuggle in and bolt for home. Ian is hoping to be able to take off a week or so of work right after the baby is born, but then I'm on my own.

I feel like I had just gotten the hang of a good routine with Ainsley. While she always slept well at night and we definitely had some semblance of a routine during the days, it was ever changing with her nap schedule until she hit a year old and started napping just once a day. Now we're going to throw a newborn into the mix and it could (will) get interesting. I am most anticipating the changes in running simple errands, like getting groceries (Ainsley doesn't like sitting in the cart anymore...great timing) and being able to do the activities that Ainsley and I used to partake in together (library storytimes, muskigarten, playing at the park, going for walks and jogs).

At the same time I am excited at the prospect of being less neurotic and frantic than I was when Ainsley was first born. I feel like we didn't leave the apartment for the first 2 months of her life. This new baby is going to have to adapt quickly, and if she doesn't I am going to have to not care if she's fussy because Ainsley needs to stay active and I need my sanity in getting out of the house at least once a day.

I am trying not to think about how life is going to change too much. I haven't bought a double stroller yet mainly because a. the stroller I'm jonesing after is ridiculously expensive (a Bob double jogger) and b. I'm looking forward to fully utilizing my hotsling with the new little one (have I mentioned how much I LOVED my hotsling with Ainsley?) As I have mentioned before I firmly believe that things work out in the end how they are meant to. Ian and I are thrilled to be expanding our family and no matter how hard it is at times or how tricky some changes may be it will of course be worth it.

It helps that I have seen a lot of other parents in my same boat. Sleeping babies in their carseats accompanying their toddler siblings to storytime and music class. Babies in slings with other children in the carts at the grocery store. Frantic new moms with disheveled looks trying to stay awake at the park. I'm going to be one of those moms! and soon! I can hardly wait.


2 comments:

  1. Hooray! I'm so glad you've made it so long! I'm sure you'll do awesome with two babies (ahem, I mean one baby girl and one big girl). I have a few friends who have just gone through the same thing, and they've all figured it out. Somehow, things just seem to always work out. Anyway, keep on truckin'. Hopefully new baby girl arrives before we do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you've made it so far, Becky!! Ainsley is going to be the best big sister - they seem to know a lot of things instinctively. Chip was quiet and observant the first few weeks - of course he was only 14 1/2 months old so probably didn't know what the heck was going on! - but saved his "acting out" until Pete was older and I wasn't so overwhelmed. I really think older sibs "get it" - you sure did when the Jooj showed up! Even on the really tough days tho, I still remember rocking Pete for the night feedings, just the 2 of us, and being able to spend time with Chip while Pete was napping. Pete was much more flexible, too, with all the in and out of the car. And now, they are the best of friends, just like your mom and me! I couldn't ask for more, it was all so special. You have the most marvelous journey ahead of you with your expanding family. One of the best things I learned from your family was this: I never thought I could love any other niece/nephew like I did your big sister (SORRY!), but when you were born I truly learned how love expands exponentially. My love for you was truly overwhelming in its intensity - it was awesome when you were born! Then I had 2 girls I could brag about and love on (I was just down South and "lovin' on" is a great saying)! I can't wait to hear all your wonderful stories! Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.