Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Minnesota Weekend

We're back from an amazing four day weekend in Minnesota and even though the combined driving time totaled over 16 hours it was well worth it.

I was expecting it to be a great weekend.  We had planned to visit the corn maze and the apple orchard, visit Ian's family in St Paul, watch my dad's (Minnetonka Varsity) undefeated soccer team WIN again.  I did not expect to walk in at 10:30 at night and see my sister, brother in law and two week old nephew nestled on the couch.  I was so excited!!!  It was such a special treat to get to see them and new baby Rory.  And it proves once again that my sister is a rockstar.  I cannot imagine traveling with a two week old (and a first baby to boot!) and she did it like a pro.

We had such a great time. The weather could not have been better (though it does leave me aching for sweeping tree line views upon our return to urban life).  Friday we went to the apple orchard.  It was a blast.  The kids had fun filling our two giant bags of apples and then playing on a giant slide and train.  That night we went to my nephew Connor's soccer game.  It was so fun to see him play!  Saturday we went to the corn maze in Shakopee.  It's our second year and was just as fun.  The girls loved it all, especially the fast slide and the corn pit.  Felix was a bit reticent at first about the corn, but loved it soon enough.  We ate corn dogs and cheese curds, filling the gap that missing the state fair always leaves, then headed back up to watch some Minnetonka soccer.  It was SUCH a fun game and made me very nostalgic for high school.  The team has the section final tonight and I have my fingers and toes crossed for them, though I don't know that they're going to need it, they're amazing!  Saturday night we had a big family dinner.  All 8 grandchildren sat for a photo.  Sunday we went to St paul to visit Ian's family.  It's always so fun with them, and much much calmer ;o).  Monday we went out to breakfast with the Minnetonka family that was available.  I ran over to the Once Upon a Child across the street and just so happened to find the perfect size 6 pink hooded fleece for Ainsley to replace the fleece she lost already this fall.  Then it was time to head out!  It's amazing how much we can pack into a few short days.  We miss everyone, and that crisp clean Minnesota air already.




























Now that we're back we're starting fall right in the face.  Just over two weeks until Halloween (oh man am I glad I have the girls' costumes done!) and then I feel like Thanksgiving and Christmas and snow and winter will be upon us before we know it!  As much as I love all that, I love fall just as it is.  I'm just trying to be present here and enjoy it as much as I can.

I'm excited for my meal plan this week.  Perhaps it's that I have one less meal to cook thanks to the four day week,surely it's because my mom gave me a bunch of her CSA veggies for inspiration, at any rate it feels possible!  It helps that my littlest guy is such a happy kitchen helper and that we can get lots of prep done just us two in the mornings.

Crockpot Applesauce with Pan Fried Pork Chops and roasted cauliflower

Roasted Eggplant Dip and Mediterranean Pork with pita bread

Winter Squash Soup with Curry and Coconut Milk and mini ciabatta rolls

Beef Stroganoff with egg noodles and roasted broccoli

Spaghetti Bolognese with baby greens

With one leftover day thrown in there on Friday we should cruise right through the weekend.  Ah, lovely.

I hope you all had a great long weekend (Chicago) and enjoy your short school weeks in MN.  Love!

**the stroganoff and the eggplant dip were the hits of the week.  The pork wasn't as flavorful as I'd hoped.


No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.