Friday, May 30, 2014

The Start of Summer

Ah, summer it is.
I still can't quite believe that it's here.  After such a long hard winter and quick cool spring, it's here.  The girls are out of school, the trees and late spring flowers are in full bloom, we've had the AC on for a day or two here and there, I guess it must be true!

Last Thursday was the girls' picnic with their preschool at one of our favorite park.  We were there for the full two hours, lunch bags and picnic blanket in hand.  The girls just ran every which way with all of their buds, filled up on gummy worms and popsicles, drank in the charismatic storyteller, and had a blast.

I spent most of my time wrangling Felix.  He's gone from sweet complacent on my hip or back tiny guy to LET ME OUT! LET ME RUN!!! I'M A BIG KID!!! Over night.  Oh boy it's going to be a long summer with that little one :o).

We made it home on bike and stroller and scooter and everyone crashed.  Poor Ainsley sobbed herself to sleep.  She is so very sad about school being over.  All I could do was hug her and remind her of all the fun coming up.  Gymnastics!  Playdates! Lazy mornings in jammies! Pools! Splashpads! Picnics!  I mean really the list goes on and on.
Still she sobbed.  So sad about not seeing her teachers and friends every day.  I was that way too in school.  I hated the end, even when I was so ready for summmer.  But then that next year is always great too right?  It's just the way it goes.








Memorial day weekend was a great fun flurry.  On Thursday Ian called me around 10am to mention that his dad was thinking of visiting.  By 10 pm he had arrived.  I had fun on Friday alone with him and the kids.  We walked up to the bakery, I got to go grocery shopping alone, we played in the yard all afternoon.
Ian and Sonya joined us after work and we had a great weekend all together: parks, the pool opening, a run to the farmers market and a run home with rhubarb and asparagus under my arms.
Dan left on Sunday.  Monday we enjoyed the River Forest Memorial Day parade, grilled lunch and shish kabob dinner.  That strawberry blueberry rhubarb pie was one of my all time favorites.















I remember two summers ago.  I was preparing to run Ragnar, just moving along with life with two tiny people.
Last summer I could hardly wait for those wide open days.  No preschool drop offs to shuffle through in the mornings, a new tiny baby to care for and snuggle.  It seemed to breeze right by.
This summer is different.  Rather than a seamless transition of mere seasons it feels much more monumental.  At the end of this summer is kindergarten, it all seems to be leading up to that right now.
I am feeling more pressure than normal this summer to make it count. I've been making lists of crafts, books to request and read, things we must do.
I've been using this first week to feel out summer.  So far so good.
Our mornings are great an easily filled.  Felix is still getting his morning nap.  I'm getting the things I need done (mostly) and enjoying my time alone with my big girls.

Making bike shorts out of all the girls' too short leggings...


 running the block over and over again


 My little walkin' dude


Last year one of my biggest regrets of summer was not making more popsicles and ice cream. Silly I know, but it's true.  I just never got into the groove.  This summer we're already on our second batch of popsicles and bought half gallons of cream and half and half at Costco today for ice cream making.  We're prepared.

Our first batch was mixed berry coconut lime pops.  SOOO good.  Smashed berries with sugar and lime juice and zest, mixed with plain full fat yogurt and coconut milk.  Mmmm.
Waiting in the fridge for snack time right now are orange creamsicle pops, simply coconut milk and fresh orange juice with a few spoonfuls of yogurt.  Yum.







On a sad note, for us, Auntie Sonya is moving back to Minnesota this weekend.  It's been three wonderful years having her close.  Living so far from all the rest of our family has made it all the more special to have her here.  We are so going to miss our Sunday dinners, summer afternoons at the park and in the backyard, and I know the girls will always remember this special time with their Auntie (no one paints tiny fingers and toes quite like Sonya).  Who knows, perhaps someday we'll live close again.  We sure hope so!
    


Oh boy, now I'm all sad again.  It's the end of an era!

Even so, we're easing into this new season well.  This weekend the girls have three birthday parties between the two of them and our village has a fun festival on Sunday with half of the festivities right at the end of our block.  Right now I'm feeling very thankful for all the hustle and bustle right out our front door.  It makes summer parenting pretty easy (so far!).

Today I'm looking forward to a full easy weekend, gymnastics starting up for my girls in a few short weeks, a trip with my big girl ALONE To Boston shortly after (!!!) and hopefully a Minnesota cabin trip or two to boot.  Lots of good things right now.

I hope you all have a great weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.