Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Enjoying

Ah the second week of summer vacation.  Lots of sun to start the week, a wonderfully cool rainy day today.  I'm loving it.

On Monday we all crashed from our big weekend. Apparently all those birthday parties and outdoor time at the beach, pool, and the village festival combined with no naps was a bit much.  On Monday we stayed in jammies all morning and at 11 Louise told me she was tired and wanted to nap, walked herself upstairs and fell asleep for 3.5 hours.  It was a gloriously lazy day.

Yesterday we were out again all day.  First groceries, then fun in the yard and park.  Then backyard pool time with friends.  Really a perfect summer day.

Felix didn't nap much so we had lots of quality time while the girls napped.

first foray with play dough


some ride on time outside



checking out the new tent I made with and old batik throw of mine, poles, palette, and woven mat found in our garage (one of the perks to owing a home almost 100 years old, lots of neat old stuff tucked away in just about every nook...and yes, I still have a bit of hand sewing to do to seam up those holes, though the girls quite like all the "windows")






In case you're wondering that is a good bonk on Felix's head.  We're remembering all too abruptly the bumps and falls associated with a very mobile 13 month old.

Ainsley sporting her new do, I cut a few inches off per her request after the band debacle.  She periodically regrets this decision, but I like her with shorter hair, fits her spunky personality.


Today it's been raining.  I am very excited for the cooler temps and took advantage this morning by baking lots.  I don't like having our oven on much in the summer.  Our gas range heats up our house quite quickly, which is great on cool days, not so much on 80 degree ones when I'm trying to keep the ac off.  It's nice to take advantage on these days to stock up the fridge and freezer a bit.

summer zucchini bites from my new library find The Naptime Chef (I also made her braised salmon with leeks and chicken curry recipes, very yummy), banana bread from Joy of Cooking, and baked lentils with cheese from More with Less (no picture of that, sorry, but it's SO good. Felix ate two bowls for lunch)


my new hot pads!  I couldn't resist making myself a set along with all those ones for the girls' teachers.  They're awesome.


When the girls weren't helping me cook they were playing office in the front entryway and setting up the fisher price manger we unearthed in the puppet box downstairs.


I braided Ainsley's hair when it was wet last night so she's sporting crimps this morning.  I love sharing childhood traditions with my girls.


Up for the afternoon?  A rain walk of course, followed by some cutting and sewing (if Felix allows) of new duds.  Two new smocked dresses for the girls and one (or two?) new summer tops for me.  Nothing beats a good dig through the fabric stash and the excitement of new clothes!


I hope you all are having a great week and enjoying summer as much as we are!





No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.