Monday, June 16, 2014

Father's Day Weekend

We had a great weekend.
Felix's fever finally broke Friday morning and after spending the day recouping and trying to get some food in that little body we were ready for the weekend.

Saturday we went out to breakfast, something we haven't done in a while.  Every time I got out with the kids I wonder why people go out with kids.  It's just too much hassle in my opinion, mostly thanks to Felix.  Still we ate well and had fun getting out.  I went home to put Felix down for his morning nap while Ian took the girls garage sale-ing.  They didn't find anything but came home happy and excited for the pool.  Having a pool at the end of our block is a major perk in the summer.

We ate lunch and while the kids rested I got some tie dye ready to go.  I'll have to do a whole separate post about that because it was AWESOME.  So pretty and so much fun.

Then Felix and I joined the girls and Ian for a second trip to the pool.  Photo evidence below.



We had a blast, even if my heart was beating out of it's chest the whole time thanks to Ainsley MOSTLY being able to swim all on her own.  He can do the width of the pool and back and swim underwater.  It's enough to make a mama faint!  SO proud of my girl though.  Louise is so joyful at the pool, I love watching that girl splash and kick.  Mr. Felix was quite the fan too, he kept pushing off of me in the deep end like he wanted me to let go of him.  Nice try little guy!

That night we had a simple dinner and early bedtimes.

Sunday the girls greeted Ian enthusiastically with drawings of him and questionnaires they'd filled out.  It was pretty sweet, they know their daddy well!



For breakfast they each wanted to make him something from their own cookbooks.  Louise made him an egg in a hole and Ainsley made french toast.  It was yummy and filled us right up.

Then I rinsed out the tie dye from the day before with the girls and we filled the morning until lunch out at a new Vietnamese resturaunt owned by the father in law of a good work friend of Ian's.  It was VERY yummy.  The kids could have devoured plate after plate of the egg rolls and I could have just dived into the Pho soup.  Again, not the most relaxing experience, but worth it to celebrate the dad in our lives, and support a friend!

That afternoon Felix didn't want to nap in his crib so I put him on my back to finish up dessert in the kitchen and of course he fell asleep.  I Spent the next hour and a half hunched over a bit swaying so he wouldn't wake up.  I had fun perusing some art prints.  I'd LOVE to finally get some adult art up on our walls.  Someday I guess.


When everyone woke up we rallied to go check out the food trucks in Oak Park.  It was fun to see them all but we didn't find anything spectacular.  We were being cheap though after two meals out already so perhaps that had something to do with it.

We compensated by eating cake and ice cream when we got back.  Ian loves yellow cake and strawberry ice cream so we made both.  Homemade ice cream is my new favorite.  Once I got the hang of it I can see a new flavor popping up every few weeks around here.

Then Ian headed out to meet a friend downtown.  The perfect end to father's day I think.  So I gave Felix a bath, put him to bed and watched Frozen with the girls.  They fell asleep easily and I enjoyed a bit of quiet.

And I FINALLY got photos of Felix walking!  First steps at 12 months 2 days old,  a bit more each day, just yesterday he finally decided he could traverse rooms and use it as his main mode of transportation.  This morning he's a bit reticent again.  IT's so fun to watch this little guy move!





Ah, there are SO many wheels in our house these days!!!


So now it's the start to a new week.  This morning we grocery shopped and went to Ainsley's Kindergarten Readiness test.  She did great even though she was nervous and now is extra excited for school.  Then we went to a park and headed home after about 20 minutes because it's HOT out there today and I forgot sunscreen.  We filled up the pool out back for some afternoon splashing and are looking forward to a week of playdates, gymnastics starting and Boston this weekend for Ainsley and I!

I hope you all have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.