Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The End

Today was the last day of preschool for my girls.  The end of preschool for Ainsley.




I'm honestly amazed that I was able to hold it together.

Pilgrim does such an awesome job with little people.  Before school starts the teachers visit our homes and take photos of the children with their families to have waiting for them on their first days. They start the year with a sparse room that they get to fill with their own artwork and projects throughout the year.  As the year winds down the children help with that too, cleaning their toys, putting things away for the summer, taking down bulletin boards and packing up their cubbies.  It helps them understand that it's ending, for those little minds that can't quite wrap themselves around the concept of change.

I on the other hand know.  I know that today marks the end of an era for my big girl.  I can let myself wallow in that sadness, or I can focus on those two amazing years at a most perfect school.  Perhaps a bit of both today.





So after our Pilgrim school picnic tomorrow morning (and a visit from the garage door repair man in the afternoon :op) it's officially summer over here.  I'm mostly very very excited.  Just today at lunch Ainsley was wanting to sit on my lap while we ate, Felix was shoving quartered grapes in his mouth just as fast as he could at my right and Louise was humming a happy tune to my left.  I put my arms around all three of them and took turns drinking in the (mostly) sweet perfume of their tiny heads.  I'm a lucky lady.

And as for all those extra hours together?  Well, if the last few days are any indication, I think we're going to be just fine.











We're getting into the rhythm of being outdoors, walking everywhere, hauling bags with snacks and water and diapers just in case.  
Yesterday I signed the girls up for summer gymnastics.  Today I bought them leotards online and we discovered a "biketard" style.  As I scrolled the girls called out "biketard!" and "biketawd!" respectively.  Even Felix joined in with his "BI-TA!" exclaims.  I am most excited for lazy mornings, many walks to the bakery and mornings at the splash pad parks.  I am very excited for projects and TIME to get a lot of fun in each day.  

Today I'm taking a moment to be so thankful for this past school year and all the wonderful memories my girls have made.  I'm allowing myself a bit of sadness about the end of it.  I'm reminding myself that summer is the saving grace to all that change the end of a school year brings.  We'll always have our summers together.  I really need that light today.





No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.