Monday, September 3, 2012

For My Boy on our Fifth Anniversary

On this quiet late night, rather belatedly, I'm finding myself nostaglic and reminising and very very thankful.  No, not for those good old college days (though there's been some of that too lately), or of those carefree days of my youth (always a bit of that really), or even those first precious months of my girls' lives that seem so far away now.  No.  I'm thinking of my boy.


You see, tonight my boy is working again.  Not working late, working all night, again.  For weeks now he's come home promptly by 5:30, been present and engaging and delightful.  Does the dishes after dinner, helps with bedtime, then kisses his three girls, packs up a yogurt and sandwich for tomorrow and is off to work all night long.  He does this every other night.  I've never heard a complaint or a grumble, just puts his head to the grindstone and goes.  He's amazing.

But I've known this.  Exactly nine years ago, maybe even to the day, we met.  In the flurry of college move in meet your roomate scramble to makes friends, we somehow found each other.  I've never once taken that for granted.  That had I not gone into that weird music major's room that night and suffered through an entire solo voice recital recorded awfulness, I may never have met him.  That had I not seen past the gangly kid climbing up to his bunk with his shoes still on! I may not be where I am.  And I simply cannot imagine a better place to be.





Because here?  I am with my best friend every (ok, most, lately) night.  That gangly polite wise old tie and sweater vest clad boy turned out to be my perfect person.




Oh there were moments of course, for us both I know, when we weren't so sure.  When I didn't know if I could handle ALL that bizarre music listening, film noir watching, and laid back I mean what I say and I assume you mean what you say style.

I'm of course so glad we stuck it out through those tiny rough patches, powered through the uncertainty and difficulties and hardships.  Because goodness, what fun we've had, what a life we've made.








I've learned so much from my boy.  Learned to calm down and take a breath, be spontaneous and adventurous, grow my mind and widen my horizons.  I look back at us these past 9 years and I see two people who have grown up together, gone through so much, and are stronger and closer and more in love than I ever could have imagined.

I look at us now and I hardly recognize us.  A bit because of those tiny wrinkles and tired parent eyes, but mostly because we, together, are better than ever.  We have created this life all our own, on our own.  In a world that tells us that we need date nights and vacations to stay connected and nurture our relationship, we have very little of that.  Yet in spite of it all or perhaps because of it all, we just keep getting better.


So for my boy, to my boy, you are amazing, ridiculous and wonderful.  You make me laugh every single day, pull me up when I'm down, even when you're down too.  You take charge when I need you to and you truly are my rock, our rock.  You are working so hard for us, for you too I know, I hope.  You are brilliant and kind and patient.  I am simply brimming tonight.  Thank you for the best 9 years of my life.  I can't wait for all those to come.


Oh, and happy 5 year anniversary.  Rather belatedly, but oh so heartfeltedly.  (you know it wouldn't be from me if there wasn't a made up word :o)  I love you.

1 comment:

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.