Thursday, September 6, 2012

First Days

Well here we are, at the end of the first week with both of my big girls in school.  I thought I'd take a moment to reflect and pair some stories to those great photos I got.



Sweet Louise was up first.  Happy as a clam to don her mama made dress and "new" (thrifted stride rites for $3!) party shoes for her first day.  She stood proudly on the front steps holding her first day sign.  I swear she remembered Ainsley doing the same.  Acee payschool tuoo? Not today sweet girl.  It's all you!


We got there a bit early as I'm still figuring out how long it takes us to walk there, but we didn't mind.  Ainsley was such a helper girl (even if she did keep telling Louise Oh Louise, you'll probably cry and cry...she at least countered her pessimism with But mommy always comes back so don't you worry!).  Louise charged right in the double doors when they opened and found her niche with the puzzles and play kitchen.  After a few brief tears at goodbye my big little one began her first school adventure.

And Ainsley and I?  We took the opportunity/excuse to have a little fun.  That first morning we walked hand in hand to the Buzz, just across the bridge for Louise's school.  We ordered fun drinks and breakfasts and chatted and relaxed.  It was such a treat.

Then Thursday was a bit more of the same.  A relatively easy drop off for Louise and another hour and a half alone with my biggest girl.  This time we opted for the Blue Maxx across town.  Delicious coffee for me and fun breakfast for us both.  I already find myself cherishing these brief important times alone with my big girl now that's she's got quite the little activity calendar of her own.


Because next Tuesday it was all Ainsley.  After dropping Louise off we headed to her first shortened day of big girl preschool.  After weeks and weeks of nothing but sheer excitement she was of course a bit reticent the morning of.  After a quick calming talk with daddy on the phone she was ready to go.  Backpack and get to know me card in hand we waited with other anxious newbies.  The drop off couldn't have gone better.  She found her cubby right away, washed her hands in the sink and settled in.  A quick hug and a bye mom! and I was directed out the door.

Ah my big ready girl.  Was it just last year this time that you were clinging to my leg writhing at the mere thought of separation?  Here you are, making your own friends with ease, writing and drawing, storytelling and songwriting?  You are incredible and growing and lovely.  We are so proud.





I can't wait to hear about all of Ainsley's adventures at school.

Next week we jump in full throttle to the 4 day a week schedule.  While I already find myself feeling pangs of missing her and growing up sadness I am excited for my alone time with my second biggest one.  Because oh Louise you are growing so too.  Sometimes, having you pegged as the baby in family I forget how big you really are.  You too are so independent and capable.  You get in the car on your own and insist on buckling your own seatbelt.  You can relay which songs you've sang at playschool and even which books you've read and activities you've done.  After I pick you up I get such happy hugs.  Mama, you back!  Mama came back! Oh I always come back baby girl.  You're going to have to try REAL hard to get rid of me.


I know there will be tough mornings when getting two kiddos out of the house by 8:25 will be tricky.  I know there may be sick days, tired days, cranky sad days.  But today I am so thankful for my big school girls and the promise of all the fun and learning this next year will bring.  Now if only the weather would reflect that back to school fall vibe we're so digging.  I'd LOVE to turn off the ac and pull out those newly finished sweaters!

Here's to a week of great firsts and hoping for a few more next week! (musick garten and Ainsley's first dance class commence!)  Happy Fall!

1 comment:

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.