Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Hump Day Nuggets: Game On

Ahh that down day.  Turns out we ALL needed it.  It was like a normal not in the midst of holiday chaos day.  It was slow and fun and relatively easy.  We had yummy fish and chips for dinner, bathed and played.  Ian and I snuggled down on the couch to resume our new favorite show (Breaking Bad!) This morning the girls slept in, like WAY in.  Ian and I woke a whole hour before them and just enjoyed our quiet house, two cups of coffee and each other.  I can't remember how long it's been since we've had that.  Wait, how old is Ainsley? :o)

This morning was amazing. I felt ready to tackle all that needed to be done, excitement for the trip ahead renews.  I made calls and wrote emails, folded clean laundry and diapers, and the errands, oh the errands.  

I totally have this erranding with two down right?  Louise in the back pack, Ainsley in the cart or stroller.  Only lately the groove has switched.  Louise is NOT content to be contained in any way, and neither is Ainsley.  She insists on walking with me and despite strict rules about running away from mama down long isles, she can't be trusted.  I now feel like I'm going into battle even for the simplest errand.  Ahh.  The simple erranding days of yore are gone, or are they?

Cue playschool.  I'm starting to learn to take advantage of that hour and a half twice a week without my biggest girl.  Louise snoozes while I drive and we get things done in record time.  This morning we made three stops, then I cruised around town while she caught some zzz's in back.  We strolled around town, I got a gingerbread latte from a little patisserie I've been dying to try, Louise happily kicked her feet the whole way.  I felt so free and efficient.  

I used to have such mixed feelings about being away from Ainsley.  I really had guilt about putting her in playschool, wondering how much it was just because I needed that time versus her.  Turns out we're both benefiting.  I get to feel sane for an hour and a half and she gets to rule the roost with her little pals.  She walked out of class today holding her friend Sophie's hand.  My heart melted.

So we're good.  Really good.  In the midst of this special celebratory time of year we're still us, in our groove, getting things done and having so much fun.  I'm really looking forward to winter.

Nuggets::

Dressing up like it's warmer than it is is the new staple in our house.  Ainsley LOVES going through our bin of summer stuff while playing and now Louise pulls at her close desperate to dress up with her.  Last night I indulged and my two dumplings ran around in swim suits. It was pretty darn cute, even if I had a hard time convincing Ainsley that Louise needed to keep her diaper on, she REALLY wanted her to be "nakey underneath like me mama, Louise is a BIG girl." Not that big yet Ainsley girl.


 ::Ainsley lugged that fully packed swimsuit up and down our hallway all evening.  Traveling between her "apartment" and Louise's (they're bedrooms).  "Oh my Louise!  What a lovely apartment you have.  I'll have to come visit soon." WHERE does she learn to talk like that?  I love it.::


 Nuggets::
I plan to do a whole post about the amazing books we're finding at the library.  I just renewed a bunch of winter ones that I'm excited to take to MN with us.  Snuggling and reading is one our favorite things to do in those late afternoon hours.  This one is Amelia Bedilia, with an accompanying read along CD.  Definitely one of Ainsley's new favorites.



Nuggets:: This morning we visited my grandma up north a bit for a little mini Christmas lunch and hello.  The girls are so in love and I love getting to have their great grandparents so close so the can know and love them like I do.  I got all of my grandma's old christmas cookie recipes (from her mom, my great grandma B) and I can't WAIT to try them.  You know me and new cookie recipes!

So we're off.  This trip seems so calm and effortless compared to previous years.  We're ready and oh so excited.  Happy Christmas to all and to all a joyous holiday!  I'll be back after our trip with lots of stories and photos you can bet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.