Friday, December 16, 2011

Birthday Brew

Half the fun of any holiday (in my humble opinion) is the making of it. The planning and anticipating, the hard work and thought. today we are in full birthday brew mode and it feels (and smells!) wonderful.

Yesterday we got out the decorations, hung and unwound. Ainsley (and even Louise) were as much a part of the doing as I was. I was a bit weary of our "overdecked" our house was going to look with Christmas AND birthday adornments, but I must say I like it so much I may just leave it up through new years.

::kneading the largest ball of play dough EVER, finally cleaning windows of fall decor, and all that garland and flowers::







After news of Ian's success last night and a fun Christmas party for me and the girls we celebrated with some Portillios and early bed times. I awoke this morning determined NOT to be overwhelmed with the to dos, to focus on the fun and merrymaking of this special day with my specail birthday girl and her cute baby sister. (even though in the midst of this all we're dealing with replacing part of our roof, ick!)

We erranded this morning where Ainsley maneuvered the "big girl cart" at TJs like a pro and the only items I bought off list were a couple of bottles of their vintage ale and Prosecco (hey, it is the holidays afterall!). We got right to work upon our return. I debated putting a show on for the girls to occupy them so that I could work, but they wandered inside, sat down and just started playing, together, happily. Afraid of rocking the boat I said nothing and got straight to work. We made a loaf of WHO bread (for sure my new favorite, sweet enough for a treat but bready enough for a sandwich...SOOOO good), golden potage soup (with a whole foods mix of seasonal root veggies) and 2 yellow cakes. The girls helped dump and stire when needed and then happily meandered up and down the stairs, playing in the play kitchen, dress up and with their new great toys from the party last night. I was amazed at how great the morning went. Usually when there is so much to be done catastrophe strikes!

::a few photos from the Christmas party, Ainsley wearing my pearls, Louise ho-ho-ho-ing (literally, she LOVES saying ho ho ho), noshing on yummy treats and playing with their friends, such a great party::







Now the girls are peacefully and easily resting, the sun is shining and 4.5 sticks of butter are coming to room temperature in the kitchen waiting to be made into some delicious BLACK chocolate frosting for Ainsley's penguin cake. I hope the girls sleep long enough to let me frost. goodness knows they can't contain themselves when it comes to sweets. Just like their mama. I can't wait to share about Ainsley's party. I feel the joy of a kid again, like it's my own third birthday. What fun it's going to be! Happy Friday everyone!

:: a very blurry Ainsley, dutifully stuffing party bags, my helper girls in the kitchen, funny Louise and her oven mits, yummy soup and bread and how my sink looked until about 20 minutes ago. Oh the joys of cooking!::





No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.