Thursday, December 1, 2011

Elving

To elve. To scurry and hurry and sneakily make merry, to hide and to smile mischeiviously with knowledge of secrets and making and gifting. Elving.

I'm all about elving in this house lately. Learning yet again how to do it with two now much more observent and alert litte ones underfoot. In a single moment I get totally overwhelmed by all that needs to be done, then simultaneously smile and brighten with this heavy load of doing and making for the ones I love most. Ahhh, elving.

I thought I'd share some of the elvish tricks that I'm most excited about this year, and oh there are many.

HBO's Classical Baby:: For Louise, but both girls should enjoy. Beautiful images and music to calm my little ones? Music to my own ears and I've heard rave reviews. Can't wait to try it out.

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren:: Ainsley's first chapter book. I can't think of a more appropriate one can you?

Yookidoo Spout N Flow:: My mom has this toy for her tub and Louise (and Ainsley) are going to squeal with delight. I had to search a bit to find it, but I know it's well worth the effort.

Orchard by Haba:: Let me start off by saying that if I had all the money in the world I would buy every Haba toy in creation. They are beautiful, simple, educational and well made. Too bad the price reflects their quality. I saw this game at our local toy store and couldn't resist. It's very "hi ho cheerio-esque" but Haba style. I can't wait to play it with Ainsley.
My Little Sandbox Fairy Garden by Be Good:: This is THE toy. The one that Ainsley played with for a solid 15 minutes while adults happily, freely browsed. She was entranced. My mom distracted her and I swiped it. They also have a more "boy" version with trucks. I can't wait to ultilize this for quiet time this winter, neither can Ainsley :o)
Anorak/Ploc Magazine:: I stumbled across this UK publication on one of my favorite craft blogs (ohdeedoh.com) After finding out that their Christmas bundle was a steal and shipping mere dollars I jumped and am so glad I did. It just came in the mail today and it's unlike anything I've seen. Beautiful original illustrations, age appropriate activities. I may have to get a subscription if this stocking stuffer goes over as well as I think it will.


Heyday Buttons:: My handmade buttons from etsy came today!!! Now I officially have to make these sweaters for the girls. If they don't make it under the Christmas tree you can rest assured they'll be on the table Valentine's morning. could I have found a better match for Ainsley's crazy bright yarn choice? I think not. I'm SO excited!!! Is it obvious?

Birthday Banner:: I made a bunch for family members 4 years ago and have yet to make one of our own. This year is the year! I cut the fabric this morning. Such a simple cute way to decorate for special occasions.

Felted Nativity:: If I had all the time in the world this set would have greeted the girls this morning right after turning over the first day of the advent calendar. Oh well, maybe next year? It's too adorable not to make.

Swoop Bags:: I found this pattern on pinterest. It's a large drawstring circle bag that holds all those crazy to clean up toys (blocks, legos, cars and shape toys). You simply undo the drawstring to lay them out, then swoop it closed to clean. I may not get them done for Christmas but these are definitely on my list this winter.


Tinkertoys:: One of my childhood favorites. I found a huge bag at a consignment shop for $4. Merry Christmas Ainsley and Louise!

Gathering Bags:: These flexible strong bags act as tote and storage. The handles make them easy to carry and their size is great for toys or nature walks or whatever little ones want to put in them. I hope to get one done for each of the girls.

Legwarmers:: Louise still fits into her baby pair but my tights and dresses only Ainsley May needs at least one to keep those calves warm this winter.

Princess and the Pea playset:: I found this once on etsy and have been inspired to make one for Ainsley. She is slowly but surely gravitating towards princess stories and I'm keen to keep one step ahead of her to provide a mama-approved way of delving in. Perhaps not for Christmas, but a book and a craft winter activity? I think she'll get much more out of it if we do it together.

Mugs:: I got these two matching espresso cup sized mugs for the girls on etsy. Ainsley was so keen to sip on tea and hot cocoa last winter from our little ornament turned mug that eventually cracked from all the use. I can't wait for these two to be loved and used just as much!

Digthischick apparel:: Hands down my favorite shirts. This shop on esty is where I got the girls adorable Valentine's shirts last year, Louise's MN shirt and Ainsley's rainbow shirt. This Christmas they'll each get a new lusciously soft hand appliqued gem. The one shown below is Ainsley's. I only wish they came in adult sizes.


Christmas Thrifting:: I've been so pleasantly surpised by the quality goods I've been able to find for the girls at thrift shops. A backpack full of wooden blocks for Louise (for $3), buttons and clasps and vintage fabric and felt for Ainsley's quiet book, the smallest cutest ballet and tap shoes EVER for eager Ainsley ($2 each). We have some local gems but most things I found at Once Upon a Child which are all over the country. I LOVE consignment for so many reasons, if you haven't checked out a store yet for your own little ones (or yourself!) I highly recommend it.

Clearly I'm focused on my girls this Christmas :o) Well that, and all those adults I'm elving for read this blog. Good stuff all around this Christmas season. I'm soaking up every minute. How is your elving coming along these days? Merrily I hope!


No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.