Friday, November 18, 2011

What a Week

Oh what a week. But really they're all like that right? Mostly full and good, a bit (or a lot) crazy and loud and sometimes a little calm and rest too? This was definitely an "Oh what a week" kind of week.

Auntie Joojie came to visit us last week and then we drove to Minnesota for a 3 day trip, coinciding with Ian's departure to DC for SFN (Sociecty for Neuroscience). It worked out perfectly, for while I was the only parent for a week I had tons of help from family and lots to do to keep the girls busy.

We pretty much had a blast.

The girls were SO excited for Auntie Jooj to come. We had a great full day together at the Arboretum and lunch out and sneaky Christmas shopping at IKEA (if you want a wooden train for your little one GO THERE, it is about a third of the cost of any others on the market). The day was crisp and cool and we all rested well that afternoon. Then we rounded out the day with a walk to the grocery store to get some ingredients for dinner and Paula Deen's Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake. Yum!
::Louise modeling her new winter gear,
hat I made last year that's much too small for me,
down coat by Outdoor Baby and
winter walker booties by Stonz::

::but really, she could wear a paper bag and be cute :o)::

::practicing some emotion faces on the ropes course::

::I think this one was HAPPY!!!!::



::romping around IKEA::





::no, Louise is not for sale for $4.99,
Auntie Jooj had the brilliant idea of distracting Louise
from her annoyance at the long checkout line
by plopping her in a big bin of plush toys,
you have the best ideas Auntie Jooj::


One of my few regrets in having children is not being as free to travel and visit loved ones like I'd like. I'm so thankful for a sister who takes time (and money) to come visit me in this crazy life. Thanks Jooj! We had such fun with you and can hardly wait for Christmas.

***************

After crazy early wake ups and waffle breakfast on Saturday we attempted to fill the morning before packing and heading our separate ways (Julie to downtown, us to MN). Ainsley was having none of it. I had one of those "adult" parent moments when I had to make a hard decision. She was acting SO off that I almost decided not to go. I was worried she was getting sick and didn't want to inflict that on family, or deal with it alone on a 7 hour car trip. But Ainsley can put on a good show and I chalked it up to too little sleep and anxiety about the trip (oh the worries that one is forming...she's more like me than I thought). So we rallied, left a tidge earlier than planned, gave Joojie hugs and kisses and dropped her off at the El stop, and away we went. The girls slept for the first few hours and awoke in time for a late lunch. We stopped to grab a bite and Ainsley seemed good, so I let her have some chocolate milk. Mere minutes after getting back in the car she threw up EVERYWHERE. Poor thing. I was a bit panicked that she actually had stomach flu. So we pulled over, I cleaned her and changed her, put a blanky down on her sodden car seat and we plugged ahead, because what else was there to do in middle of nowhere Wisconsin? The girls did so well the rest of the drive and while Ainsley got sick once more that evening I still think it was just a nervous carsick stomach. Thankfully we were able to put that all behind us and have a great trip.

::Riding bikes with cousin Connor, "Connor's my best friend mommy. I love him so much"::

::Ainsley has been desperate for a nightgown for the past few months
and Grammy took it upon herself to make one,
the PERFECT one, long and twirly with sparkly cupcakes all over.
We've already washed this nightgown 5 times.
It's ALL she wants to wear. Thanks Grammy!::

::cousin cooking time!::

::the girls loved their new baby cousins. Louise couldn't give Griffin enough kisses (and believe me she tried) and Ainsley was simply smitten with both. She made up a song to the tune of a music garden favorite "Aida Carmen, Aida Carmen, Aida Carmen" quite precious::


::bouncy playground! Ainsley's new favorite place ever...she's talked about it almost nonstop since we got home, thanks Auntie Kelly for the great idea, and for everyone else for having so much fun together!::

::Louise helping to cook, she's getting pretty good at stirring::

::Louise at the bouncy playground with her sad raw face from all her sniffling::


It was wonderful to get to travel to Minnesota just for fun, not for a holiday or a big family event (though I love those too). We were able to relax, eat at favorite places, get some shopping done and LOTS of playing. Thanks everyone for such a great trip!

We made it home on Wednesday in record time. Now that Ainsley is such a big girl we don't need to stop every 2 hours for a bathroom break. I've learned that one stop right in the middle for both food and gas is all we really need and then we're back on the road. If we stop too often or for too long it makes it that much harder to get the girls happily back into the car. They continue to do so well on these long trips and I'm so proud of them.

So we came home to an empty house and easily fill the afternoon with unpacking and dinner and baths, then eagerly await Ian's arrival. The girls were ecstatic and Louise couldn't WAIT to show off her new walking skills. It's wonderful to be back together again.

Then I got sick yesterday and Ian stayed home from work so I could wallow in my flu/fever pity upstairs. Everytime I get the flu I'm reminded of how awful it is, yuck. I'm glad to be back on my feet after a mere 24 hours, grocery shopped and cleaned. We are in full holiday mode now gearing up for Ian's parents to come in next week to share Thanksgiving with and all the merri-making to come for Christmas time. I can't believe it's already almost here!

I hope you all had a great week. Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. I just have to say- your kids are adorable.

    Glad you had a good trip to MN.

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.