Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Five Minutes Peace

There are so many books that I remember fondly from childhood. The Big Hungry Bear, Ferdinand, Oh What a Busy Day, the entire Berenstien Bear collection and Frances books. Some I loved for the illustrations, others for the stories...but right now I'm remembering one book in particular...


This book was a family favorite, one I almost ALWAYS snatched to bring in my babysitting bag. Every child I've read it to LOVES it, thinks it's hilarious ridiculous funny. Why you might ask? because the poor mama elephant in the book is trying desperately to just get FIVE MINUTES PEACE.

Now this mama is a mama to 3. They all need her NOW, ALL THE TIME. I used to laugh at this book too. Why would the silly mama be trying to take a bath in the middle of the day? Really, try to get any peace at all? Doesn't she love her kids, want to be with them ALL the time? Silly mama.

But today, I'm not laughing so much (ok, maybe just a LITTLE).

I've learned to not expect much, to quietly gingerly jump for joy when the girls BOTH nap at the SAME time, learned to occupy both girls with something quiet when they don't to get a much needed quiet and respite, if only for 5 minutes.

Because really 5 minutes is all I need most days. Of quiet to clear my head, of calm to rest my body, of peace to rejuvenate and re-energize.

Tonight I ended the night with a bad headache (AGAIN! - I blame Ainsley's non stop chatter and my need to raise my voice more than 'd like). Ian took over with the girls after dinner while I cleaned up. I turned off the classical music we had on low, shut the kitchen door and melted into the soothing sound of running water, and NOTHING else. I moved to my own pace, even sat a few minutes in the calm before the tribe descended clean but needy.

Now I get it. Five Minutes Peace. It's a grand and glorious thing. And really, is it so much to ask little ones? :o)



No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.