Thursday, September 8, 2011

Nuggets: Full and Good

What a week. Today I am almost thankful for the rain and gloom to give us an excuse to lie low. Goodness we've been busy.

Ainsley started playschool on Tuesday. She goes two days a week for a mere hour and a half in the mornings. It's felt a bit traumatic, mostly because of the wicked drop offs we've had (she writhed and screamed and it took every ounce of ex preschool teacher in me to give her one last kiss and turn my back and walk out because I knew this is what she needed, what was best, and before she could see the tears forming in my eyes), but also because she is just getting too darn old. She does in fact love playschool and I was reassured by both teachers that within minutes of my departure she calmed and perked and had a blast. Ainsley reassured me too with the endless tales of fun from school and new friends. It's a good thing, just an adjustment for us all.

After the Thursday drop off I called my mom in tears. It was so hard to see my girl so sad, and made me question if this is the right thing to be doing. I have this constant divide within me about raising my girls. On one hand I want them to be adaptable, and flexible to the world around them. But really I want to give them everything they want, conform our home world to theirs, move out to the country somewhere and teach them myself in just the way they need. It's a hard conundrum to balance in theory, but in practice it's even harder. Putting Ainsley in playschool has entered us into this external academic world and I'm having mixed feelings about it. For now I'm trying to let it go, know that she's having a blast and I'm loving my one on one time with Louise. I'll deal with the really big stuff when we need to.

Nuggets::

This morning we had double drs appts. Ainsley has gained a few pounds since her last check up bringing her up to a whopping 26 and Louise is right there with her at 23 (80%!) They're both still measuring average for height and healthy as can be. I'm always so thankful for strong healthy girls.

Ainsley's new FAVORITE show is the Little Princess. Yesterday when she decided not to nap we snuggled under a silky comforter and watched it for the first time. She is in love with the story and the beautiful soundtrack. We listened to the music for a full hour even after the movie was over. (Take my heart in your heart, kindle it with your heart) I love that we found a princess movie that sends a good message "I am a princess. All girls are. Even if they live in tiny old attics. Even if they dress in rags, even if they aren't pretty, or smart, or young. They are still princesses. All of us." I forgot how truly beautiful that movie is. I cried about a million times.

We've been keeping up well with the new "curriculum" this week. The girls have loved trying out some new activities and projects and I've loved having days full and planned.

::veggie peel sensory::

::paper tube prints::


::water table/veggie peel sensory::

::sister love in the bath::
::dried apple snack in the park::

::after reading the book The Paper Princess by Elisa Kleven for the umpteenth time we ventured to the park to draw and cut out our own...we had such fun::

::stopped by the bridge to spot a train before heading home::

::a happy dumpling waiting to spot the train::

::who needs a sand pit when you have a freshly groomed volleyball court?::

::sand love::


::beef stew before marinating...yes that is an entire bottle of red wine that it's soaking in...SO GOOD::


So we've had a good week. The weather has been perfection, the girls have been happy and willing and I have had energy to indulge them. I'm thankful for a family filled weekend and an even fuller week next week. Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. So I'm totally creeping on you because I love the way you write, and even though I am in a very different life stage than you are, you always provoke a unique thought and it simply makes me happy to read your adventures. Thanks for sharing <3

    If you have a spare moment sometime and wouldn't mind sharing the stew recipe for the luscious looking picture above, I'd love to give it a try!

    ~Erienne

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.