Friday, September 2, 2011

The Dregs of Summer

Today I am in a fight with summer. I am done with it's sticky hot sass, dirty feet and floor inducing ways. I miss the cool mornings and nights of two days ago, dry brows and long pants. I'm ready to pack up the shorts and tank tops, pull out sweaters and crock pot recipes and snuggle down.

After begrudgingly turning on the a/c the other day to relieve our 84 degree home of it's stifle I frowned at the sun. Oh so silly.

For we all know that in March I was begging the sun to turn up the volume, ripping through boxes of summer clothes to plan outfits months in advance, stocking up on sale sunscreen and purchasing cute new sunhats and sandals for the girls. Back then I was in a fight with winter.

For those two seasons go on and on, dragging, lingering, teasing. By the time fall actually arrives it feels like minutes until winter is upon us, fast and fierce and long.

So I guess today I will cherish the heat, the sun. I will remember those dregs of winter when I am cursing the layers of clothing and piles of snow. Today I will fill up the pool and watch my girls splash and swelter, loving every moment in today, right now. Amazing how much we learn from our kids, even the littlest of dumplings like mine.

So I'll forgive summer today, and secretly hope for fall tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.