Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Hum Day Nuggets: So Much Fun

"The sun did not shine, it was too wet to play, so we sat in the house all that cold cold wet day."

Oh Dr Suess, you speak of our sorrow. It's been oh so dreary and wet for days and days. The girls and I are desperate for outdoor time that consists of more than rainbooted walks and carrides. This is the time of year when the leaves are beginning to change and fall breezes blow cool and strong and we're missing it all, stuck in our little home months before we should be.

Of course this moment the sun is peaking through. Teasing the girls and keeping their naps from solidifying. Rest assurred it will be dark and drizzly just in time for their arousal, smiting any hopes of the park or a backyard romp. We know the drill. I miss being tired from fresh air and movement, not from cabin fevered short tempers and stale air.

Even so we've had some great moments this week. I look back on life even a year ago, getting used to a new little life in our midst, struggling to get even the most menial tasks and activities complete. Last winter felt SO long and hard that I seriously considered leaving the midwest for good. But now, these stints indoors, while not ideal, create such opportunities for bonding and play with my girls.

Nuggets:

Louise has started to play pretend right along with Ainsley and I. Sharpening her "talk on phone" and "feeding people stuff" skills. When we play in the kitchen downstairs she cooks along with Ainlsey and then (mostly) sits calmly in her designated seat waiting to be served by Chef Ainsley. We have such fun playing and pretending all together. Most times now Ainsley introduces the agenda instead of me. I. AM. LOVING. IT.

Nuggets:

I was a proud mama this morning in musikgarten as Ainsley sat front and center and belted out each and every song. One song, saying hello in 4 languages, she's particularly mastered with the hand motions and all. I'm not proud for myself, while we sing and dance to the beat a lot around here, that desire and ability to remember and learn is all Ainsley. She watches Miss Amy SO intently. Her new favorite pretend play is to lead music class as Miss Amy while Louise and I obediently watch and repeat. It's amazing how much she's learned in the year and a half we've been going to class. I always knew that music holds a special place in our hearts, speaks to us when words cannot, but man oh man, Ainsley is living proof.

And YaWeez! That dumpling is exploding with joy during each class. She drums and pats along with the babies in her class and sits up like a big kid in Ainsley's. I am just so stinkin proud of my girls and happy for the joy of musikgarten in our lives.

Nuggets:

Another perk of all this forced indoor time has been the extra project time. On a particularly wet pajama filled morning I pulled out the sensory bin and dumped in a 10lb bag of rice. It's the first sensory rice they've had since early spring, Louise's first ever and my goodness it's a favorite as always. The girls played happily for nearly a half hour, then when Ainsley and I moved into the kitchen to start a crock pot dinner Louise continued, pouring and rubbing, climbing all in, for a full hour. Ahh, the magic of sensory.

::baby in a sensory bin::


::um, I think she likes pudding paint::


::wait a second, they both do!::


::dumpling in a diaper photos::

::Louise reading, as per ALWAYS::




Nuggets:

With the big stretch of fall (and at home!) in front of us I'm determined to make good use of it. After my vent post this weekend I'm working on making it happen. One thing I've very recently realized is that I NEED to get my body back. Not lose weight so much, according to scales I'm where I want to be, but goodness I need that strength and endurance back.

Pregnancy, bedrest, nursing, being a mom, these things didn't allow me to focus on me, namely what my body needs. I eat what's available when I'm hungry, usually thinking very little about it. I'm so focused on the needs of the girls that I sacrifice my precious free time to make them stuff and plan meals (or to just SIT for a MINUTE) instead of going for a good run, or lifting a few weights.

It used to be so easy to take care of myself because it was just me. Now that I have 3 (um, sometimes 4) people to care for I just seem to come in last. But really, those days that I take the time to make really delicious GOOD food and go for a run, I am a rockstar mom and wife. (well maybe not rockstar, but you get the idea). Endorphins are my drug of choice, oh how I miss them. So here's to feeling good about myself again and getting some of that muscle tone back in my life.

I am pretty pumped for fall. Our clothes are switched, the heater has already been put to the test, leaf art and pumpkin projects are in our VERY near future. Halloween costuming has been added to our project list and our corner windows will soon be festive and bright. I love this time of year and am excited to be settled into our house and our lives this season to REALLY celebrate.

Today I am thankful for the cool weather despite the rain, the joy of music to warm our spirits and my sweet family to keep company with.
Happy Hump Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.