Saturday, September 3, 2011

How Running Changed my Life OR The Importance of Sports

Today I went for a run. Not just any run, one of those awesome I feel like superwoman kinds of runs. Today it is hot, like REALLY middle of the summer sweltering hot, but I laced up my shoes anyways and went for it. At the point when I usually turned I kept going, feeling strong and confident that I could do more.

I ran up past the high school and saw fall sports in their Saturday afternoon bustle. Cheerleaders primping and rooting, soccer players juggling and sprinting. It brought me back.

As little kids, my parents always encouraged sports, and committed group activities. We all danced, played softball, piano and a few of us morphed into soccer players. When I realized that you actually had to be GOOD to play at the high school level I switched over to cross country and never looked back.

For me it was never about being good, although I guess if I'd been REALLY good it maybe would have been a little. No, it was about setting goals and exceeding them, pushing myself to the limit, trying my best for myself and for others too. With running I found my niche, I became a leader for the first time in my life. Confident in myself and in others because if I can do this, man, you can REALLY do this.

In college I had the opportunity to run as a sport, but decided to leave my career in the minors. I LOVED my high school experience and as it wasn't about the racing for me, I didn't want to spoil a good thing (plus as much as I love running I HATED racing).

But running has stuck with me. Every time I juice up the old shuffle and lace up my worn shoes it reminds me of those high school days, chatting with my friends, inspired and invigorated. It's a great thing.

Running used to be so social for me, and now it's all my own. It's become my therapy when I need to clear my head, remind myself of how strong and capable I am, then come home to the team I'm a part of now and share the endorphins. I never regret running, I don't think I ever will.

Today as I ran past that high school bustling with sport activity, I looked at those young fresh faces and thought of what all those kids have in front of them, how their lives will morph and change in the coming years. How their lives right now are so full and rich that they can't imagine them any other way. I thought of them at 27, remembering themselves now, and how at 27 their lives will be even richer and fuller. Memory lane is a great place to run.



No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.