Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My Mom Told Me So

So...after 4 days going back and forth to the hospital, 4 doctors visits, and 7 days of the biliblanket Louise has a clean bill of health and I have finally realized "hey, I gave birth two weeks ago" a little too late...whoops.

I have been so preoccupied with Louise and Ainsley's adjustment to Louise, and trying to get life back to normal that I've neglected to pay much attention to my healing body. I think the 4 days of taking the maximum dose of motrin should have tipped me off. I chuckled when I finally cleaned out my hospital bag and found the guide to postpartum care (unread) that the midwives gave me. My mom rolled her eyes at me today when I came clean "I'm not feeling so hot". I don't blame her. She told me to take it easy, it's just TOO HARD! All I want is to lace up my running shoes and go for a hard run, or really even a brisk walk at this point.

It is so frustrating to be so out of shape and in so much pain from such little activity. I have taken Ainsley to the park once, started cooking dinners again, gone grocery shopping, and attempted to be more active in Ainsley's life (playing, bathtime, putting her down for naps and bedtime). This coupled with being up at night with, caring for, and breastfeeding a newborn apparently is just too much. What did me in today was walking to Musikgarten with Ainsley in the backpack carrier, chasing her around the class and then walking back. Whoops again. I wanted to try it out while my mom was still here to help with Louise if need be.

Louise did great and Ainsley, after taking a few minutes to warm up to the idea, jumped right back into her old rambunctious ways, exploring the classroom and sitting in the middle of the circle. She did throw her rhythm sticks twice which worries me. She's never been destructive before in class and I'm going to have to nip that one in the bud. Otherwise our first class back went great. Ainsley LOVES musikgarten as much as ever and I'm excited to get back into that routine each week.

I was reminded by a fellow blogger, and good family friend, to take things one day at a time. While I am salivating to be fully healed and back in action, I need to remember to appreciate today. My sweet Louise snoozing on my chest with a full tummy, my mom still in town for support and companionship, Ainsley blissfully sleeping off the active morning, and the beautiful near-fall weather outside are all good enough reasons to slow down and savor the moment.

Soon enough life will return to normal, I will be able to run again, and I will get the hang of being a parent of two. For now I will do my best to take care of myself and my family so that we can all enjoy that day to come.

2 comments:

  1. good for you. I am really impressed you have done so much in the past two weeks! Really.

    Glad you can realize you need the time to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! All I did for the first three weeks was sit, and I only have one! You're incredible.

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.