Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Mother of Two

I am realizing that part of the blessing of being on bedrest for 7 weeks and then the scare of having Louise in the hospital for 4 days was that my mind was kept pretty preoccupied. I wasn't able to focus on the future much, or worry for that matter, about how life was going to change.

While I still haven't ventured fully back into reality, as my mom is still in town helping out as much as ever, I am feeling as ready as I think I'll ever be.

After living so long in an altered state of "normal" I am craving REAL normal more than ever. Mundane things, like getting back into a schedule, cooking and cleaning, being active, even disciplining Ainsley are all things I've so missed. Ok, maybe not the disciplining so much, but it needs to be done.

My mom went on a trial grocery run with me and the two babes and I have to say it's going to be interesting for a while. I think the getting to the store and buying the groceries won't pose as many issues as the unloading of both the produce and the children. This is why new moms don't need to work out as much. Try unloading 4-5 bags of groceries (including at least 2 gallons of milk and juice) and an infant in a carseat and a toddler. Still, I'm excited to figure it all out.

Ainsley starts musikgarten tomorrow and I can't wait to take her. My mom is going to come with Louise to see how it all goes, but again, next week I'm on my own!

Thankfully Louise has so far proved to be the mellowest, most sweet little baby we could have asked for. I know it's still early to tell but her temperament thus far could not be more different from Ainsley's. Her "fussing" (if you can call it that) consists of maybe one or two moderate cries and then a bunch of grunts. She wakes up every 2-3 hours at night to eat but I'm thinking that a lot of that has to do with how hot she gets in her biliblanket. (Barring one last good reading today she'll be off the blanket and I'm hoping I may get a good 4 or 5 hour stretch at night out of her). Ian has only had to get up with her 2 or 3 times since she was born to help her settle back into sleep, otherwise I need only feed and change her and she's down for the count. She is awake for a few hours a day, of course not all in one stretch. Her most wakeful times seem to be right away in the morning when we're all up sipping coffee (even Ainsley joins in now with her new coffee maker "weez" got her as a gift) and right before/around dinner time. The only issue I'm foreseeing so far is that Louise loves being held. If she's left on her own, whether in the bouncy chair, swing, or floor for too long she fusses until someone picks her up. She is so snuggly and sweet, I don't mind.

So far the transition from being a parent of one to a parent of two has gone so smoothly. Ainsley still loves her Weez and we've made sure to shower them both with lots of kisses and hugs, not that it's a chore when you've been blessed with two beautiful girls.

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy that the transition has gone well for your family. Louise is beautiful and it sounds like Ainsley is getting the hang of the big sister role. Next week might be a little rough, but in no time you will have it all figured out. And once it's really going smoothly you will start talking about baby #3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing an amazing job. I am excited for your new journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Becky! CONGRATULATIONS on Louise! And I am so glad to hear that she is doing well, what a rough start! I was tearing up just reading about what you went through. I will continue to keep your whole sweet family in my prayers.
    Sorry it took me so long to get congratulations to you, I was driving back to Minnesota from my year in Las Vegas when you were going through all of this!
    But I am so excited to meet little Louise!
    Love ya,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.