Monday, September 13, 2010

My Little Gift

This is what I refer to Louise as now, "my little gift". Not that Ainsley is NOT a little gift, just of a different kind. Louise is everything I could have asked for in a second child. I can't get over how low key she is when compared to Ainsley at this age. I truly don't know how I would be handling this transition if I had another spitfire on my hands. Thank you Louise!

My mom and dad left this morning. It was emotional. Even though I know we were both ready to get back to our "normal" lives, this had become our new normal and it is sad to see it end.

I decided to dive right in and make my first day back in the driver's seat the best it could be. After playing the early morning away I took the girls grocery shopping and to Michaels to get some supplies to make thank you cards with Ainsley. Both errands went surprisingly well. Louise slept the whole time, purring in the sling, and Ainsley only had issues when she fell asleep in the car on the way to Michaels and I had to carry her and Louise for a while until she woke up. While it was definitely more difficult doing errands with two, I think I'll get the hang of it soon, and it was so fun to get out and feel like a mom again.

After managing to get them both and the groceries inside we had lunch and took naps. Louise and I snuggled in our bed while Ainsley napped in her crib. It was a great afternoon. We went the the park after snack and got home just in time to feed Louise before Ian came home. I managed to concoct something (chicken sausages, baked beans, and carrot slaw) for dinner...not the best but at least it's a start.

I think I could get the hang of this.

Fast Forward 1 day...

Ainsley woke up all stuffed up and cranky as all get out. Louise has been wonderful but the day started off with the thought "what were we thinking" crossing my mind more than once. Ainsley can be so helpful and sweet but needs a lot of direction to stay on that course when she's not at her best.

I tried to tame the wild beast with baked goods. We made pumpkin chocolate chip muffins for breakfast while Louise snoozed in the swing. This worked for a while until we were done with breakfast and EVERYTHING made her upset. After calling my mom "Ga ga, Ga ga!" to help calm her down we went for a walk and ended up at the park. My thought was to let her play it out in the sandbox so I could just sit with Louise. Of course Ainsley had other plans. Her new favorite thing is the train which is great when I'm alone with her but toting around Louise and trying to chorale Ainsley so she doesn't run across the street to see the train is really hard, and physically exhausting! Thank goodness we all ate a good lunch and were able to nap again. Ainsley is still down so I'm hoping for a better mood when she wakes up.

I treasure the time alone with Louise, even if it means less naptime for me. She is so sweet and snuggly and now I know how fast that all changes.

I have my 2 week postpartum appointment today so Ian's coming home early from work. Then he's off to the twins/socks game downtown. Second day of being on our own and he leaves me for the night! He can't ever say I don't love him :o).

I'm feeling a more profound post about re-emerging as a parent coming on, just not right now. I'm still too tired!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.