Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Bedrest Update

Yesterday my mom got into town. What a blessing. She has not only single handedly been taking care of Ainsley, but cooking, cleaning, and organizing our embarrassingly disarrayed house.

Thank goodness for her help, especially in the past two days as Ian and I have had a lot going on.

I met with the midwives collaborative OB/GYN yesterday. I was annoyed after waiting for an hour to see her (this is one of the MANY reasons I love the midwives, no waiting, and MAJOR apologies if there ever is one) but the meeting couldn't have gone more smoothly. She was optimistic and positive and I felt calm for the first time in days after leaving her office.

She did recommend that I get a series of steroid shots (I can't remember the name or spell it for the life of me) to help speed up the baby's lung production should she be born early. So Ian and I had to scoot over to the hospital. I was admitted, the baby was monitored and I got my first steroid shot (huge needle, in the butt, thought I was going to simultaneously throw up and faint when I stood up afterwards) and we went home (total time for doctor and hospital 4 hours!). I got my second one this morning, and will get the remaining two this evening and tomorrow morning.

It's been quite the whirlwind. Part of why I chose the midwives to start with was the whole non-medical personalized approach. I really dislike doctors offices and hospitals. My heart rate and blood pressure shoot up, and I get more contractions while I'm there and for hours after leaving because of the stress. Right now I feel great, but I dread going back in 6 hours to do it all over again.

I am hoping that after tomorrow morning's last shot/hospital visit I can finally calm down for good and just settle into my little space on the couch and enjoy all the wonderful goodies my sisters and mom sent me to keep me occupied (books, movies, magazines etc.). I feel so blessed to be surrounded by so much support and love. It's been hard to keep calm and stay positive at times but knowing the support that we have is amazing.

Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. those steroid shots do wonders...i never mentioned it, but my cousin also delivered early (at 32 weeks...but two weeks after I delivered Keller)...she had known their little one was going to be early and did the series of steroids and at 32 weeks Olivia was born breathing on her own! Never had a respiratory issue...just had to gain weight and was home within 5 weeks I think. :) Here's to hoping you go MUCH MUCH longer though!!

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.