Friday, May 28, 2010

Things Loved in May

I've seen some other bloggers do this and thought I would jump on the bandwagon.

1. Basic Brilliance.com
This is one of my favorite go-to places for new baby clothes. They sell solid color 100% cotton basics that have become a staple of Ainsley's wardrobe. My favorites are the cardigans, lettuce edged leggings and t-shirts. I just got a new shipment in the mail today including 2 newborn gowns for the new baby and bloomers for Ainsley (pictured below). Ian calls them her Arabian night pants and they are too cute for words, SO comfy looking and really roomy for the cloth diapers. Clearly I can't say enough good things about this online store.


2. Patagonia Sun Hat
Ainsley got a great baseball cap from Pops in Florida, a life is good "night owl" cap, and while she loves to wear it I was looking for a sun hat with straps for the pool and lakes this summer. I found this one at REI and it's SO cute and reversible! The underside is burnt orange. So far she keeps it on pretty well even though it's a bit floppy.



3. Yoplait Smoothie
An impulse buy from Costco has become a new staple in the Vaagenes household. Ian and I just shared one for dinner and I've had two for snacks this week. I make them with soymilk and flaxseed and they're DELICIOUS.



4. Boon plate and bowl
Now that Ainsley is well into self feeding and will in fact only eat what she can feed herself it was time to invest in some toddler dishware. I love the Boon brand, I find it at Target. The spoon and spork are great for those first tries and self feeding and the divided plate and bowl are out almost every meal now. The bowl suctions onto her high chair or the table and she really can't get it off. The plate is nonstick and she at least doesn't seem to be able to fling it off the table.


5. Greenworks
I know I know, I've totally jumped on the "green" household cleaner bandwagon and don't worry I have no intention of preaching. I still scrub the bathroom with softscrub because anything else just doesn't seem to get it clean enough but this stuff runs a close second. I LOVE the smell and it even tackled our disgusting trashcan in the kitchen with ease. Plus, as Ainsley is still very much in the put everything in your mouth phase of life I feel better about using something a bit less abrasive.



6. Bio Oil
This has actually been my favorite throughout both pregnancies, but it couldn't go unmentioned. I've tried just about every lotion, cream and belly butter there is and nothing beats this stuff (plus walgreens sells and generic for almost half price!). Ainsley has taken to helping me rub it on her belly and if she's onsie-less she'll pull up her shirt and ask for "more please" so she can also partake in the oil belly rubbing. It's become quite the ritual in the Vaagenes household, especially as I need to reapply about 3 times a day now to tame the itching from the crazy stretching going on (no stretch marks though so far! here's hoping I skate by like I did with Ainsley)



7. Green and Blacks Organic Milk Chocolate
Normally I'm a dark chocolate kind of a girl but for some reason with this pregnancy, and lack of red wine to pair it with, I've been digging milk. This brand is typically on sale at our local whole foods and lets just say if Ian doesn't realize that it's in the pantry by Tuesday (I do grocery shopping on Monday) he's pretty much s.o.l. plus it's organic so it's good for you, right?


8. The Oak Park Farmers Market
While this is technically the second weekend of it's annual running it was our first family trip this morning and although the pickin's were slim (we got rhubard, asparagus, apple cider-frozen from last fall, and of COURSE donuts) it was glorious to be back. I am already salivating over the fresh produce all summer long and of course the donuts. Ainsley ate her first powdered sugar donut and was in absolute heaven. I think we'll try cinnamon next week. Ian was right, it was a bit messy, but so very worth it for the smile on her face.

9. Shanghai Girls by Lisa See
Since joining my new bookclub I've stumbled across some great books and this one is no exception. I'm scrambling to finish it in time for the meeting next week but it's not for lack of interest. The book takes in between world wars during the Japanese invasion/terrorization of China and then subsequently in post depression era China Town California. If you read Snowflower and the Secret Fan by the same author you'll be sure to love this one.

10. Water
Let me explain. Grammy introduced the beauty of water to Ainsley on our trip to Minnesota. Truth be told it'd be a bit too chilly or I'd been a bit too weary of the cleanup to introduce it before May but Ainsley LOVES water, much like most toddlers. A full bucket and a few cups, spoons and sieves buys me almost a half hour of gardening time outside with her. We're going to venture to the pool for the first time this afternoon and I'm thinking that's going to be an even bigger hit if previous ventures in the water (Florida) have anything to do with it.

In other news:
Thanks to everyone for the support based on my last post. I think I was just in the depths of that end of second trimester hump. Everything looks great with the baby and hearing her little heartbeat took away all anxiety I was feeling, at least for the moment. Ian and I have come to a decision on the name which helps when I talk to her at night. Ainsley is more and more curious about my growing belly for example: tonight in the bathtub Ian asked her "where's mama?" and she puffed her belly out, pointed at it and started laughing. This is why we have children. To keep perspective, and a sense of humor.
P.S. Ainsley's newest word is hedgehog. Only a child of Ian's would say hedgehog before mastering hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.