Thursday, November 5, 2015

Final Countdown

Felix woke up before 5 AGAIN today.  Ainsley was close behind. Ian says he's been up crazy early too in MN so perhaps it's just all this newness and excitement and angst.  We're all feeling it!

The kids have actually been doing so so well.  I am floored by how well Felix is doing, basically spending his days in the house watching me pack or being toted around to countless tiny inane errands (though he did love watching the machine at the hardware store make our new keys).  He is so very helpful and sweet. 

Ainsley is really blowing me away as well. She is probably 98% excited, very little worry or sadness from her so far.  I'm expecting sadness Friday as we say goodbye to their school but she is also so very excited for Minnesota.  She is old enough that she can power through a bit more and more fully understands everything.  I know on the other side she is going to be very nervous for her new school and teacher and friends but we're taking it a step at a time.  So far so good!

Poor Louise is the one struggling the most. She's been on a roller coaster of emotion and I'm sad to admit I'm nearing the end of my patience with her frequent outbursts.  I know it's because her emotions are just amplified versions of my own.  Yesterday it was even worse because we were getting flu shots after school and she was so terrified.  She was brave despite it all though and now I'm hoping after a VERY good cry, that we are over the hump.  
I'm coming to school Friday to read a book to each of the girls classes, then it's Felix's last musikgarten class, cleaning out food and garbage from the house one last time and packing up the van.  It's coming so fast, ah!!!

I'm doing well, nervous about getting it all done and the house selling before we have to move our furniture out at the end of the month, but hopeful and trusting that it's all going to go well.  I am getting very excited myself.  Now that the end of the packing and cleaning and house showing is near I can finally start to imagine what it's going to look like.  
I am really excited to be at my parents for three weeks.  I think it's going to be a good transitions for us all.  It's where we always stay when we're in MN so it's familiar to the kids and very comfortable and fun.
I'm so excited for Thanksgiving there and the first snowfall and driving the girls to their new school and taking them to dance and shopping at new grocery stores and cooking big fall family meals again.  I think I'm officially sick of take out, just in time!

I asked the kids to help me think of some meals to make while we're staying with my parents, Ainsley and Felix said nothing and Louise suggested mashed potato french fries, so I think I'm on my own there.  Lots of slow long cooked delicious things for sure.

Of course I'm excited for our new house, our new family life in Minnesota.  Ian is loving his new job and I am so thankful for that.  To hear his happy relieved voice on the phone has really gotten me through these last trying days of parenting on my own and packing and readying.
I'm even letting myself think about Christmas a bit.  Planning gifts for the kids and imagining how our first holiday in our new home will look.  We've always had a big birthday brunch at my parents house for Ainsley's birthday on Christmas Eve and this year we can do it at our house!  It may seem like a small thing, but to take the hassle of travel out of our lives a bit and just be there, it's going to change our lives.

The girls are both most excited for their new rooms.  While we were hoping to keep the girls together they are pretty set on their own spaces and I'm leaning towards letting them try it out.  There is a bright white and light green bedroom that Ainsley has fallen in love with and a lilac room that Louise loves.  There is even a room with a blue wall for Felix and while it feels silly to spread the kids all out I am thankful that we can do it and brainstorming ways to make their rooms guest friendly when we do need them to bunk up together.  (a daybed with a trundle for Ainsley, a double bed for Louise?)  The good news about being so cheap with furniture for so long is that I don't mind revamping a bit.  And the girls will be so very delighted.

I am so excited to get there and start sharing our new life with you all.  It's funny that I started this blog to keep family and friends in Minnesota abreast of our Chicago adventures and now I can keep it going to stay in touch with friends in Oak Park.
Just three more days.  Positive thoughts please that I can get it all done!  I'm feeling the pressure big time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.