Monday, May 11, 2015

Mother's Day Weekend and Food

The rain is pitter pattering away outside.  I heard a lot of grump about the weather at the grocery store this morning.  I for one love these steady spring rains.  Everything is so green and fresh smelling.  Love it.

We had a nice weekend, very quiet which I like every once in a while.  My allergies are still horrendous so I've not been going out much anyways.  On Mother's Day I slept until 8, woke up to Ainsley screaming 'HIDE EVERYONE!" then was bombarded with kisses and hugs and sweet gifts. Ainsley picked out a flower planter for me, Louise got me new gardening gloves.  Felix was quite happy to share the giant bag of Lindor chocolates they had chosen together.  The girls made me gifts at school.  Louise a bookmark on which she wrote LIITTTL HOS PRAIIE because we're currently finishing up Little House In the Big Woods.  What a sweetheart.  Ainsley made a little handprint bag which she insisted I use as a purse.  She's very proud of that.  The both made cards as well.

I got a run in in the morning which was lovely.  Then still sweaty I put on rain boots and we went to my new favorite local garden shop to get a few herb and veggie starts.  The afternoon was very low key.  I watched Escape to Witch Mountain with Ainsley while the rest of the house slept.  What a funny old movie from my childhood.

I finished Louise's summer sweater just yesterday and have Ainsley's yoke almost done.  They're going to have their first matching sweaters.  They are so excited.
I completed my first contracted sewing job.  That sounds more formal than it is.  It felt good to do something for someone else and helped reboot my sewing.  I am very excited to make the girls summer skirts with all the fun fabrics and vintage sheets I found last week at the resale shop.  They are in need of new summer nightgowns too.  I love sewing when it's necessary, almost more than when it's for fun.  It feels so good to be able to make the things that we need.

Our new deck is almost finished.  We've been able to use it over the weekend and I can't tell you what a difference it makes to have a safe space in our backyard to use.  Now I'm trying to think up a way to make some outdoor curtains to make it more useable in the afternoon sun.  I'm excited for the challenge.

My motivation for cooking has been very low lately.  It didn't help that I was spoiled with my favorite take out yesterday (Brazil cafe AND Boss Burrito).  Time to put my nose to the grindstone and get back to it.

Ian's spaghetti (per Louise's request), with the TJ's grass fed beef (so so good and in the freezer section for 5.99/lb!)

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole (a little taste of home, and I need to use up our Costco rotisserie)

Leftover Veggie Lasagna (sub cottage cheese for ricotta, I almost prefer it this way)

Baked Pork Chops and Rice (a nod to a dish my mom used to make in the skillet growing up, such a simple hearty homey meal)

Chili (Ian doesn't love beans in chili, but goll darn this weather calls for it! the cornbread with it may help)

Bacon wrapped chicken tenders with TJs instant potatoes and some veg yet undecided (very excited about this dish, sounds right up my family's alley)

I'm also going to make a batch of Morning Glory muffins this afternoon.  They sound really really good.


No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.