Monday, February 16, 2015

A Little Planning During Precious Alone Time

We had a nice Valentines Day, perhaps more on that later.  That night Ian got sick.  We're still not sure if it was from food or the flu, but whatever it was he was SICK so I spent yesterday tending to him and keeping the kids happy.  I am so tired today and really in need of some downtime.  I recently retook a Myer's Briggs and rediscovered that I'm an INFJ which is apparently the RAREST personality type.  Makes sense in so many ways to me.  Anyways, that introvert part is proving trickeier and trickier for me.  I hardly every get alone time, I'm constantly needing to be social and outgoing even when I don't want to be.  It's good in so many ways to be forced to get out so much, but I really need my down time to be a happy lady.

Today my downtime is looking up fun new learning games for the girls while Ian takes them to Costco and Felix naps.
I am really really struggling with elementary school.  I don't know what it is. Ainsley is doing so well, she loves it, Louise is so excited to go next year and I know she's ready too.  For some reason I hate it.  I hate that they're growing up and that I feel so much pressure to teach them and for them to be learning all the time.  Then I remember that they are learning, just by being little kids and experiencing life and growing.  IT's just so exhausting.

I manage by planning a few fun learning games a week.  It helps me make sure they're were they need to be and makes me feel better.  Our main mode of learning around here is just experiential.  They help me cook and clean, and make things.  We read every chance we get.  The one thing I am not great at is numbers.  I am not naturally a math person so it just doesn't occur to me to do much more than count with them.  Our math games tend to be few and far between so this week I'm focusing more on that.  Thought I'd share in case anyone else is in the same boat.

P.S. It's also so super hard to try and find things that Felix can partake in too.  I think this week I found some good ones!

(I totally goofed on most of these links and am too lazy to fix them.  If you're interested just search the name of the game at the No Time for Flash Cards web site)

Pizza Delivery Game - this one looks AWESOME!

Number Match Game - I love that all three can do this one.  Felix will just love holding the cards and Louise can work on 1 to 1 correspondence while Ainsley can brush up on simple addition.

Gross Motor Math Game - Love anything with painters tape on the floor

Flower Petal Math - the girls are very into cutting and pasting so this one would be great

Craft With Numbers - Love this idea.  I need to get some more colored pom pons so we can do some fun themes.

I just need to keep reminding myself that it's going to be ok, it IS ok already.
Ah.  Big sigh of relief today.  Thank goodness for alone time!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.