Saturday, January 31, 2015

Thoughts on a Saturday Night

The snow has started to fall.  We're supposed to get over a foot between now and tomorrow.
I hope so.
After holidays and weeks of running around and plans I am so looking forward to just settling in, playing in the fresh white, reveling in it all.

I just finished Parenthood.  Do you watch?  It's one of the great last family dramas on in my opinion.  I am so sad it's done but so glad with how it ended even if I'm still sniffling over it.

It reminded me of my grandpa, Bop, who died in September of 2013.  Towards the end of his life he kept commenting on his family, sitting back and taking in this large brood he and his wife were responsible for.  Now his grandchildren are all grown, his great grandchildren growing every day.  We're spread out all over the country living our lives, doing our own things.  It's such a treat to be together, even for my own nuclear family.  I am so thankful for us all.

I have become so aware in my adulthood of the preciousness of time.  Each day that we have is truly a gift, as cliche as that may seem.

Today I ventured out only once to get some groceries with Ainsley.  After a week of eating mere fiber bars and lean vegetarian meals I was excited for some good meat and a bit of decadence.  We had roast and mashed potatoes tonight. Tomorrow we have an assortment of sliders, stuffed jalapeños, battered baked veggies, and homemade wings. Who knows if friends will be able to join us thanks to the storm, but us 5 will have fun nonetheless.

I worked on our quilt.  Ian's and mine.  It should get done tomorrow.
I love that boy so much.  I am such a lucky girl to have found him.

Ian took the girls to get haircuts and then out to eat for lunch.  I snoozed with Felix after making the roast and dancing to Taylor Swift.  His toddler laugh and joy is all I need in the world most days.
Then the girls swung in the basement while I sewed and Ian took Felix on an errand to get shoe polish and to wash our van. He vacuumed it out and I am so excited to see it all clean tomorrow, or Monday, whenever I make it out.
Louise has lost her nay nay.  She has two but this is the one I made her.  I think I'm more devastated than her.  I don't know where it is, she doesn't either.  She's never lost it before.  I hope we find it.

Ian's fellowship is up in August.  He can apply for an extension which he most likely will as a safety and  because he loves his work right now so much.  I'm still holding out for Minnesota.  My heart always aches for that state.  It's been over seven years and Chicago has just never felt like home in the way that Minnesota does.

But I am thankful.  We have so much. Tonight I'm thinking of all the parents out there and grandparents and families and friends who are like family.  We are all so fortunate to have each other.
Each day is a gift.
Love to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.