Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Thanksgiving, and before, and after.

Oh hey there.  It's been a while.  I really have no good excuse.  Life just keeps rolling along.  Actually I do have an excuse.  I have three children and no free time ever.  That works right?  Right.

Two weeks ago Ian was in DC for a neuroscience conference so my mom came into town to help me out.  It was so fun.  Julie ended up flying in with Rory to meet us and we went to my Gram's for the weekend in Winnetka.  I haven't stayed up in their house for so many years.  It was really fun.  I am so so thankful for a mom who would do anything for me anytime I need it.  That week would have been so much harder without her.  And quality time with my sister and new baby nephew?  Awesome.
















Then Thanksgiving.  We went to Minnesota for the first time in four years.  It was exhilarating, being able to do it, if not completely chaotic and exhausting ;o).

I didn't take many pictures at all over Thanksgiving. We were too busy running after kids and (kind of) cleaning up after them (sorry mom!) and eating way too much food.  I always just soak it up in Minnesota.  Whenever we cross over from Hudson and I see that big Minnesota sign I just breathe out.  No matter where I live, Minnesota will always be home.















Now we're back and full on in Christmas mode.  We got our Christmas tree Sunday night after our drive back, from Costco of all places.  I will say that our beautiful sweet smelling $29 fraisier fur is worth the bit of Christmas soul we sold for getting it there.  We capitalized on the outing by getting giant costco hot dogs and soft serve for dinner.  Yum, tradition!












Now advent has started and it all feels calm and good.  I opted out of the strenuous stocking garland tradition this year for a simpler version.  I resurrected the calendar I made a few years back and stashed a few simple treats in for the kids to open each day.  That coupled with a  cute Eric Carle calendar I found at our local book shop gives us just enough countdown each day to keep the kids happy (and not fighting over who gets to open each day!)

I find this time of year especially tests and marks so much for me as a parent.  How I'm growing and changing, how our kids and our family are growing and changing.  This year it all just seems easier, like things are falling into place.  I plan so much less because I just don't need it.  We have our things, our traditions and rhythms for this time of year.  It's feeling good.

I'm really looking forward to these next few weeks.  Baking 14 dozen cookies (two cookie walks this year!), Ainsley's 6th birthday party (a lose Brave theme, I'm being brave/super dumb by giving the kids bows and arrows for party favors), creating and wrapping and singing and playing.  It's the best.

I hope you all are having a wonderful start to the Christmas season!


No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.