Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Wide Open Spaces

Facebook statuses that I almost just made Sunday night but thought the better of...

This was The Weekend that was NOT

I'm so extra glad my mom is coming to town to rescue me next weekend while Ian's at a conference.  I'm dying here!!!!

That moment when you are so pumped that the family channel has all kinds of movies on at the end of a long hard weekend so you record them all, sink into the couch to watch UP with the family, totally forget that the sweet old lady dies in the first 5 minutes and traumatize your 5 year old for life...ugh that moment.

So it's been an interesting few days.

Poor Ian caught my cold.  He was in and out of bed all weekend.  Unloading the dishwasher and taking Felix on walks around the block in between those boughts in bed.  That guy I tell you.  He singlehandledly disproves the whole "men are weenies when they're sick" thing (despite me trying to tell him to stay put!).

I cooked SO much this weekend.  I forget if the saying goes starve a cold or feed a cold, but we definitely fed it!
chicken curry soup with rice and blueberry coffee cake were the two big hits



He went to work despite still feeling bad Monday morning.  Thankfully he's much better as of yesterday.

So I started the week without the usual pep in my step from a restful weekend.  I was a bit worried about my exhaustion and getting through this week, especially because Ian leaves for a week long conference on Friday, but so far it's been great.

Ian lugged our fold up slide up to the deck and after cleaning it as best I could I lugged it into the basement.  This of course prompted a giant clean out/up of the space to fit it in.  There are few things that I love more than a good rearrange.

I feel like I've been through the ringer with this old house.  I've rearranged things so many times trying to find that perfect "ah" moment when you know you've got it right.  The thing is our needs are constantly changing, as our family grows, as our kids grow, as the seasons change.  I've given up trying to find the perfect place for everything and settling for what's perfect right now, and right now? it's wide open spaces.

Faced with winter coming soon and three little people to entertain for months I wanted space.  It can be hard to come by in our 1500 square foot home.  Too much furniture and stuff just makes it feel cluttered so quickly, add three little mess making tornadoes, well it can feel downright claustrophobic.  So I'm cleaning out (again, always).  Knowing that we spend most of our time on the floor playing anyways I've moved a few big pieces of furniture out to the back room in our basement and swung the big couches around to open up the rooms as much as I can.  It's amazing how big our home feels and how excited the kids are to have space to run a bit.








We're enjoying all the "new" spaces!

Also enjoying...

new play dough (Elsa colors!)



Sewing

Ainsley's first doll dress made for Snowflake.  She made a pattern and cut all the pieces on her own, I just helped sew them together.  She is SO proud.  (Louise has since made a similar dress for her bunny, though I helped much more with that one)


Finished neck warmers for the girls (they each have one)


New QCT for Felix!  I opted for a kneepad look with these ones.  They're too dang cute.


Louise's sweater is FINALLY in the final stages.  This yoke is so much fun to knit, it makes all the fussy construction of the rest of the sweater almost worth it.



Today' Ainsley was back at school and Louise starts again tomorrow after a long break for conferences.  This afternoon is Ainsley's first ice skating lesson.  She's SO excited and I'm thrilled to have an activity to get us out again on this gloomy cold day.  (For what it's worth Minnesota, I'm totally jealous of your snow, so much better than this rainy 40 degree stuff)

Happy Tuesday to you all.  I hope you're having a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I'm sorry, weekends with zero refreshment are no fun! I just have to say, the facebook statuses you almost posted crack me up. There have been so many times I've had days I almost posted a string of 5 frustrated statuses. Usually I hold myself back, but it's hard. ;)

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.