Sunday, November 2, 2014

Halloween and Beyond

Friday was insane.
It was the end to a busy week, Halloween to boot.  I somehow managed to get Felix down early so we could make Ainsley's 1:30 parade at school.  We bundled for the sub freezing winds and found our spot for the parade.  I almost missed my girl! Holding her class sign so proudly, wearing her kimono OUTSIDE of her winter coat.  Doing this Minnesota mama proud.  Then her spectacular class party with fruit treats and dancing with friends and her fun teacher.  It was almost too cute.  I loved every moment.








Then we walked the four blocks home, waited for Ian to come home early from work for tricks or treats.  It started to snow in earnest and the winds were howling.  It was beyond comical. I just laughed and laughed as we layered our little Mulans and our tiny Mu Shu (who's costume I somehow motivated to make at 10am that morning...I just had to).









The girls ran from house to house knowing just what to do.  Felix and I joined for just our block, then went home to hand out candy.  He was so excited each time he heard the knock knock and when the girls got home with Ian all three enjoyed handing out candy.

We had our block party that night regardless.  I ran over with a piping hot pot of pumpkin black bean chili, raspberry oatmeal bars and homemade macaroni cloaked in towels to keep it warm.  We huddled and ate with brave neighbors, sipping on hot toddies. It was kind of perfect actually.  I kept using the word "memorable" to describe the day.  That's exactly what it was!

Saturday was memorable too.  Ian drove us out west and I drove us home.  If you've been following you know I haven't driven on highways since a panic attack incident in March.  It was so scary to merge that first time but I knew I had to do it and knew I was ready and somehow I made it all the way home on the big bad 6 lane highway.  I was soaring for the rest of the day.  Which is probably why......

I spent all day today in pajamas.  Ian took the kids to the aquarium this morning and I watched two episodes of Gilmore girls and knit Felix a pair of mittens and baked a loaf of oatmeal bread.  They got home, they'd had a blast.  We ate the bread with soup for lunch and napped.  Ian took the girls ice skating.  Louise's first time!  Ainsley's second.  Louise worked up to skating on her own without the walker and Ainsley made a whole lap on her own with the big kids.  I'm so thankful for a husband who is almost completely my opposite at times.  Just as I'm happy to hunker down and make house my man is keen on getting out and entertaining out kids.  It's a good system we have.











I feel so unprepared for this week, mostly because I've had no time to think about what's to come.  We've started our thankfulness paper chain, starting thinking about the holidays to come, excited for a normal full week and the promise of fun holidays and family visits to come.  This is as good as it gets.  I am so fully aware of that.  It's a glorious place to be.

Happy November to you all!




No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.