Sunday, December 14, 2014

Fun Weekend

This weekend was our big holiday weekend.  Well, the big one before the actual holiday.  We were booked solid and I'll admit I was weary of us all making it through it one piece (I am NOT a booked solid kind of a gal).  But it was all fun stuff so we took a big breath and dove in and had a blast.


























Saturday morning I took the girls to Louise's preschool's cookie walk.  We filled one box to the brim of delicious festive cookies and headed home to attend our neighbor's birthday party.  They had a WAFFLE TRUCK outside feeding guests which was pretty much the best thing ever.  Santa came too.  It was an awesome party. Then I drove the girls up to Ainsley's elementary school for their cookie walk and craft fair.  We didn't end up buying more cookies but the girls each painted a porcelain nutcracker to hang on our tree and I have them each $5 to spend on a craft (they found some adorable crocheted booties to fit their dolls).
I should back up and say that Saturday morning we gave Ainsley her big birthday present, Julie, the american girl doll.  We've started this tradition of giving her some birthday presents on the day of her birthday party to spread it out a bit.  It's a very fun tradition and one that she very much enjoys.  She carried that doll EVERYWHERE that day.  She couldn't love that doll more.
Back to Saturday.  After Irving's craft fair we went to pick up Ainsley's birthday cake.  I decided to buy a bakery cake for the first time and it was worth every penny.  It's from our local bakery that I get our bread at every week and it was SO good and very festive with the bow and arrow on it for my girl's Merida birthday party.
That afternoon we crashed a bit and got ready for Ainsley's party.  I was so thankful that her friends could make it seeing as i was so last minute with plans.  I was really trying to convince her to have a January party so that we could invite more people and more people would be able to come but she was insistent.
We painted faces, put on celtic tattoos, played pass the parcel and did a treasure hunt for the bows and arrows (their favorite!).  We then practiced archery and played a little straw javelin throwing game.  Next up was cake and present opening.  It was a whirlwind and went by so fast.  We had fun!
I went to bed at nine that night.  Wowsers were we all tired.
This morning we took it easy.  I attempted to get some sewing done in the basement and lost my marbles when a buttonhole wouldn't work so Ian took the kids to the park and I went for a 3 mile run.  It felt SO good.  I am so thankful for the 50 degree weather today for that awesome run.
Then we all fancied up and met friends out at brunch before going to see the Nutcracker.  I almost thought that we wouldn't make it when Ainsley lost it when I told her she couldn't bring Julie after a LONG battle getting dressed but we did and it was so fun.  I LOVE the nutcracker.  It's such a fun way to celebrate the season and get all fancy for a change.
Now that Ainsley's birthday party is behind me I'm focusing full throttle on Christmas.  I have a small list of handmade gifts that need finishing so I'm taking it one thing at a time.  Wednesday is Ainsley's school holiday concert and classroom party which I'm excited for and in between after school activities and school I'm very excited for the fun this week holds.
I hope you all have enjoyed your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.