Monday, January 13, 2014

Tids and Bits

I'm sipping on some coffee, having just finished my oatmeal while the girls play at school and Felix naps.  As always there is lots that I could be doing.  Continuing to organize the back room of the basement, putting away the three loads of laundry that I folded last night, doing a few of my 10 minute pilates work outs.  But no, Felix was up three times last night, and I ran yesterday so I'm sore and tired.  Writing and coffee it is.

I had a great week last week.  After a rough start with the cold indoor days and me being sick I was in need of a major reboot.  I look backed on these last months of parenting three little people and I feel like there's something left wanting.  It's all me.

Since Felix has been born I haven't felt like myself.  I feel totally frazzled and hurried most all the time.  Panic attacks have resurfaced in my life making driving and dealing with little stresses difficult.  Usually pumping up my exercise routine and getting rest and eating well help with this tremendously.  But when you are nursing an 8 month old baby who doesn't sleep through the night at all and are trying to ready your life for a potential move any moment it's REALLY hard to do anything for yourself.

So I'm trying to work with what I've got, bit baggy eyes, soft tummy, tired brain and all.  Last week I decided to stop throwing myself a pity party, stop making excuses and be the person that leaves me feeling good at the end of the day, rather than sad and defeated.  It's working great.

It started with making a few basic changes in our days, reverting back to what was working before all this sleep deprivation took it's hold on me.
First, we turn the tv off in the afternoon.  When the girls wake up from nap time I have a plan for them.  Last week we made cotton ball snow pictures, made mixed media paintings, started writting new books (an abc book for Louise and a Rapunzel story for Ainsley) we started reading a new chapter book together before nap time (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, they LOVE it), and got serious about chores.

Those three days were amazing and reminded me of how great it can feel to feel like a GOOD parent, like I'm actually good at my job and deserving of this role I've been given.  I really needed that.

Then this weekend I got things done.  Went on a two hour errand run to the Container Store and Target to get supplies for organizing (lots of boxes and bins).  I can't talk about details too much on here (per Ian's request), but some big changes are coming up fast for our family and I'm using every spare moment to get prepared.  It's simultaneously thrilling and terrifying, and always incredibly overwhelming.

Today I'm looking forward to finishing a new sweater vest for Felix (I finally finished Ian's this weekend and he's wearing it to work today...success!) getting the basement in good enough shape that we can at least play down there, finally shipping off the last of the Christmas cards and thank yous from Christmas, some craft making and game playing and reading (as always), and perhaps even an afternoon walk in this mild weather.

I was so focused on fun last week that I hardly took any photos.  Here are a few from our happy days.






Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.