Sunday, May 5, 2013

Getting Organized

This post is really just for me.  A little jumpstart, some fun to dos to get me back in my groove.  I've been so ansty for our baby to come these past months that I've really slacked off in the making things department.  I am so excited to have a few moments to get a bit organized and line up my projects for the coming months.  Perhaps you can help me narrow it down?  I tend to get a bit carried away when it comes to adorable tiny knits and luscious yarns...

For the tiny boy...
The one absolute MUST for fall and winter is at least one little old man cardigan.  Lining them up below I think it's pretty obvious to me that I need to make the top one, aborably coined the Gramps Cardigan, but that bottom knit, the Fish Creek Sweater, sure is cute too.  And then that simple middle choice, the Demne?  kind of looks like a staple to me.  Oh boy, how will I choose.





I see this wrapped in delightfully bright paper for our third born on Christmas morning.  Could it be any cuter?  


And of course AFTER he has arrived I would find the perfect FREE baby bonnet pattern.  I may just have to whip this one up for the cool days we're still having, and those inevitable cool nights up at the cabin this summer.  It's too cute not to.


My other knitting faux pa?  I made Felix's baby blanket in amazingly soft THICK AS ALL GET OUT organic cotton.  I don't know what I was thinking.  It will be perfect as a play mat this summer, but as a buttery soft wrap around blanket? Not so much.  I may just have to start in on a new one for my spring babe and this Hansel pattern, with lace edging and manly huntsman coloring seems kind of perfect.  Plus when/if he decides he's over his mama made blankey?  I'll get to inherit it as a shawl.


And now for my girls.  With Ainsley's new sweater completed earlier this year they're both pretty set for long sleeved knits, though their favorite cap sleeved cardigans are just this side of small.  I'm excited to have an excuse to try out a revamped Elizabeth Zimmerman pattern for them.  This one is the February sweater, adapted for a 5T, perfect for Ainsley, and really Louise too.  My girls are getting so big!


Another knit I've been dying to try out for them is one of those over the dress layering sweaters.  Here's one called Bulle, and I love its shaping, but the girls would have to be VERY keen on them to justify all that tiny knitting.


This one looks like a good option too, a bit simpler and smaller.  I love the eyelet and front band details.


This is a cardigan version of the same idea, with 3/4 length sleeves and adorable shaping.  I would love to make them each one for next spring.


For my biggest girl...
Ainsley has been begging me for her own "nay nay" (mama knit blanket) ever since she's realized that Louise's are actually hers from babyhood.  This knit is actually called the sunshine baby blanket, knit in a half circle which is kind of perfect for a loose swaddle, but then grows with the child into a shawl, which really, is how baby blankets are used by little ones as they grow (or at least by my kids).  It's very simple, and I may look up some fun lace pattern for the edging to spruce it up, but I think with the right yarn it will be just perfect for my biggest girls who needs and deserves a little extra love at the big sister to two little ones.  I can't wait to see her face when I give it to her! (in a few months ;o)



And of course in addition to all these knits I have many sewing projects in mind.  The girls are really pretty set for summer, still I can't resist some new simple sundresses and skirts, of course oodles of pillowcase nightgowns and FINALLY finishing up their quilts (just in time for the heat, I know I know).

I hope all of this making will ground us in our old ways among all this change we've faced this year.  I see long summer mornings out and about, enjoying the sun, water and earth, and lazy afternoons at home, making sure our sweet baby gets at least one good nap in, and that we get all of our goodies made!

Ahhh.  That felt good.


2 comments:

  1. Friend me on Ravelry! I keep looking for you but you are hidden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that didn't sound demanding. When you have time of course....Not like you are busy, right? ;) I would love to see all your pretty projects!

      Delete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.