Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Library to the Rescue

We've been utilizing the library even more than usual lately.  These long afternoons at home won't fill themselves!  i have never been more thankful for our little library, mere blocks away.  The conveience of requesting books online, browsing DVDs in person, a quiet calm place for my girls to get some social energy out and play, these are all good things.

As a result of all this library time I have some new finds I'd like to share.  This last batch of books and films was particularly choice, I can't help myself.

Books::


This may be my new favorite, ever.  A story of a little girl who makes a bedtime wish to wake up on a ship, then of course, wakes up on the cutest most adorable ship with her baby brother.  They spend the day on this magical vessel, ending the day cooking a sweet meal while a storm rocks them to sleep.  The pictures are simply magical, as well as the story.  The girls were entranced.  I'm in love.


I had never heard of this author/illustrator who makes mostly wordless books.  This one is so fun and great for those young counters.  Each page is a beautiful image of a growing little town, first with one of everything, then two, then three...on up to twelve.  We counted, we marveled, the illustrations stand up on their own.  Simply wonderful.


Of course we needed a little silly in our library finds and this one hit the spot.  A little boy receives a "tadpole" from his uncle for his birthday, but instead of turning into a frog it resembles a famed creature of lore much more.  It's funny and sweet and of course Kellog's illustrations capture attention and inspire imagination.  A new favorite for sure.


i'm always on the look out for good wordless books.  I find they are so wonderful for independent "reading", storytelling really for my little pre readers.  Louise in particular could just sit all day with a good book telling the story and this one of two siblings sharing in the joy of a rainy day is no exception.  We could stare for hours.  Spier's other books, People, in particular, are already favorites of ours.


Ainsley is in love with this book.  The cooky illustrations are so fun to look at, really they tell their own story.  She's very fascinated with teeth and this funny story of a unique show and tell experience appeals to her school aged self big time. A fun family read.

Films::

While I'm still not a fan of most little kid shows out there I LOVE good children's films.  We've spent many afternoons snuggled up watching old favorites of mine, finding new favorites for us all.  It's turned into a time I really treasure with my girls.  


We watched a bit of this classic up at my parents' cabin last summer and the girls were hooked.  They LOVE the songs and I love Dick Van Dyke so really it's a win win.  I haven't let them watch the end yet.  If you've seen this movie you know how kid inappropriate those last bits are (child snatcher in a kingdom with no kids?!?!).  But the girls could watch the first half with the songs and cute magical car moments over and over.


I found this at the library last night and was almost giddy.  We had this 1985 version of Alice in Wonderland on VHS growing up and I can't wait to share it (in parts, its 3 hours long!) with the girls.


Ah Totoro.  I think we've watched this film about 15 times since discovering it online a few months back.  I truly think it is the perfect first movie for any child.  The story is so magical and mild, not the slightest bit scary or dark.  Two little girls find a crew of magical creatures living in the giant tree in their woods and these creatures have a way of showing up at just the right times to cheer them up and help them out.  I wish I had a Totoro in my back yard.  I know the girls do too.


Do I really need to write anything about this one?  Nope, didn't think so.  Even Ainsley will tolerate the bits of "scary" for the sweet story and amazing underwater creatures.


Ahhhhh! Cinderella!!!!!  I'm still waiting on our copy of the Lesley Ann Warren version to arrive at the library, but we found the Julie Andrews version (below) and love it.  To me these are the quintessential Cinderella's.  It doesn't get much better than In My Own Little Corner in my opinion.  I'm so glad the girls like them too!


So there we are!  I'm so thankful today for all these fun finds, especially seeing as Ainsley is down for day three of this tummy bug (now complaining that her neck hurts...oh boy, I hope we don't have our first round of strep).  I just hope we're getting it all out before the baby comes.  My patience and waiting on people is wearing thin!  Thanks library, you've come to rescue again.

2 comments:

  1. Omigosh, I had completely forgotten about The Maggie B.! It was one of my absolute favorites as a kid. Have you watched the newer version of the R&H Cinderella with Brandy, Whoopie Goldberg, and Victor Garber among others? I love the Leslie Ann Warren one, but the new one is pretty fun, too. The costumes and colors and sets are pretty fun. You can watch it all on YouTube for free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky - I feel like I maybe have discussed this with Julie before and you guys might have watched them too, but when your kids are a little older, you need to get Faerie Tale Theatre for them. You guys will love them. They were originally on PBS, I think, but they're great and funny for adults too. Just not the Sleeping Beauty One. That one is still scary. My family's favorites are Goldilocks, Princess and the Pea, and Three Little Pigs. I think your post made me think of them because we used to get them on VHS from the library when I was a little kid.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faerie_Tale_Theatre

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.