Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Ready

Right this second I should be doing about a million other things.  This is nothing new.  A mama's work is never done is it?  But this particular moment?  It's very new to me.

I had a bit of let down on Sunday.  After a fun weekend and two great runs I absolutely crashed, took a 3pm nap while Ian toted the girls to the library and went to bed at 8 with a full on migrane. Ugh.  My heart's been beating in my throat all day and I keep taking out my planner to add to the impossibly long list that must get done before Thursday.  Because Thursday?  Well that's the day my little sister flies in to town, we pick up a couple of 12 passenger vans and head up to Madison, stay in a hotel overnight and wake up at 5 to run the whole way back to Chicago in 36 legs of Ragnar racing.

I'm ready, but man am I nervous.

I'm not nervous about the running, I am confident in the work I've put in and the strength I've reclaimed.  No.  I'm nervous about the ordeal.  This race is an event.  Team members relying on you, lots of time to keep up spirits and energy, a whole lot of unknown (which I don't deal with all that well).  If I had my choice I would run only through thick woods all by myself.  I never bring water with me or a watch to clock my time.  I'm just as surprised as Ian when I come home after a great run and realize I just ran 5 miles in 42 minutes.  Part of what I love so much about running is that it doesn't have to be fussy, It's just me, a pair of comfy shoes, legs, lungs and earth.

Leg 8, 6.6 miles


But I needed this race to motivate me.  To have something to work towards to get me back to where I wanted to be.  So here I am, feeling totally out of my comfort zone, and at the same time, really really grateful for where I am.
Leg 20, 4.6 miles


Last night the nerves were buzzing again.  I literally jumped with excitement when Ian came home.  "Ok if I run?"  "Of course." "Dinner's in the fridge"  "Get out of here."  And I did.  My plan was to just go until the nerves ran off, until my mind quieted and my body took over, practice running long and hard one last time.  I went on a route I've never done, crossed the highway and headed north, then hung left until I hit a huge park reserve.  I ran past mansions I've never seen, colleges and universities just short miles from our home.  My legs tightened but my breath was there the whole time.  I came home 79 minutes and 8.85 miles later.  My legs a bit stiff, my confidence boosted.  It's the best run I've been on to date.

Leg 32, 5.9 miles


This race may be an ordeal.  A 2 van, 12 person, no sleep, 3 legs of country running ordeal, but I'm ready.  Catch you on the flipside Chicago, you know, when I run back to you.

1 comment:

  1. You'll do great, Becky! Just take things at an easy pace and have fun with the gang. I can't wait to see everyone! - Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.