Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Early Summer Days

It feels like I've been gone for at least a week, not just the 48 hours that Ragnar really was.  I swear the girls look bigger, act older, and this house, oh boy.  Despite my boy's best efforts, there was lots to do upon my return.  Mama snuggles to give and multitasking to be done.  It's nice to know I'm needed around here.

After the high of the great race has somewhat worn off I've found myself in a bit of a slump.  We're dealing with some heavy stuff in our house.  Heavy where do we see ourselves in 5/10/15 years how do we get there kind of stuff.  It's bizarre and wonderful to be finally exiting the tumultuous elastic years of early adulthood, entering fully into stability and longevity and long term stuff.  It's hard too, and a bit scary.

I look at those sweet faces of my girls and, if possible, more than ever I see how much they need me, how much they rely on us.  They don't just need my milk and my snuggles anymore, they seek guidance and boundaries and direction.  It can be a heavy load to bear when my own direction seems so weaving some days, but grounding too.

Take the past two days.  Faced with suddenly open mornings and long long unscheduled afternoons I'm taking a path that I tend to steer clear from.  I'm winging it.

Yesterday after laundry and lawn chores and big bowls of cereal we headed to the zoo.  We visited eight animals, spied on the baby buffalo while eating cheese sticks, played at the playground until it became overrun with rambunctious 12 year olds and then headed out.  I love our one hour zoo trips.

Louise enthralled with the "big birdie mama!", 
Ainsley recognized the "eagle!  just like at the cabin mom!"


We finally got to see the bears and wolves in relative peace.  
Ainsley spent 5 minutes analyzing the wolf's tail after we read a chart about what their tail behavior means
Louise growled at the polar bear and laughed when he pawed at the crowd


After a quick errand on the way home the girls konked in the car.  Despite my best efforts to make quiet hour happen it did not, so I plunked them in the stroller and let them snooze while I ran an easy 3 mile loop (well, relative to Ragnar of course).

This morning I woke up without a real plan again.  Well, MY plan was to knock off some of the many birthday gifts we plan to make for all our July birthdays, but the girls were not in the mood to oblige me.  So we spent the morning going through old clothes, bagging up outgrown duds, too soiled to save duds and duds to give away.  My girls LOVE going through clothes.  It's always fun to resurrect some forgotten favorites or see Ainsley desperate to squeeze into an 18month party dress (she usually can!)

When we'd had enough of the indoors we decided to head up to the tiny local market to grab some kool aid and salt for play dough making.  When that took almost no time at all we meandered to the bakery down the street where I indulged us all in sprinkled donuts and danish.  Just as we were about to get back in the car I saw the consignment shop across the street open up and we just had to duck in and see what we could find. Oh boy.


The sprinkliest sprinkle donuts


She really enjoyed it, I promise


 Yes, this was lunch.


Oh my goodness did we score big.  The store was having it's seasonal clean out sale and I was finally able to snag a few things I've been eyeing now that they were %50 off.

an old school Hanna cotton pullover


As of yesterday NONE of Louise's size 6 shoes fit her and we apparently skipped size 7 for Ainsley so we were in a bit of a pickle.  Thankfully shoes were on sale too and double thankfully?  I found a pair of mint minnetonka moccasins and robeez sneakers.  I had to pry the moccasins off Louise for nap time.  Oh, and I bought them an accordion.  Ian's going to LOVE me tonight.


 Gymboree hoodie set in a size 5, it almost fits Ainsley already!  She's getting way too big.


Shopping for Ainsley WITH Ainsley is always and adventure, but I've learned ways to convince her of my choices.  One is to let her pick out my outfit as a compromise when she's unhappy with my choice for her.  It's hilarious.  She always gives me two options and they're ALWAYS dresses or skirts.  Today I sported a maxi dress I bought when I was pregnant with Louise.  Ainsley was pleased and informed me "you look pretty in your dress mama, and I like your sweater on top, but I like your hair down better, it's not so pretty when it's up like that."  I may never get used to the brutal honesty of a 3 year old.

see my ragnar injury?  my toenail has all but fallen off...delightful.



Ahh, so this summer thing is going well.  I'm thankful for the cooler weather these past two days, for fun little adventures.  For LOTS of projects on the docket and the excitement of father's day ahead.  (Oh goodness, if we follow Ainsley's every wish for how to celebrate it will be QUITE an interesting day).  And this afternoon? I'm really hoping I'm still thankful for that accordion, my girls sure are!

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.