Monday, June 18, 2012

Father's Day

We kind of had the best weekend ever.

After the disaster that mother's day turned out to be (again, no fault of Ian's) I was pretty determined to make father's day great.  Not only is Ian an amazing father and husband but he's been working his tail off lately, is notably stressed out (a rarity for him), and REALLY needed a day of extra love and fun.

The girls and I had been prepping all week.  Making cards and presents, talking about what we love about daddy, what fun food we could make (because we all know I show my love in pounds of butter), and how we could make the day special.

Ian woke up on father's day to a wonky wrapped gift and two handmade cards while Ainsley yelled "Happy Father's Day Daddy!" at the top of her lungs and Louise belted out the happy birthday song at the top of hers. Oh my, what a moment.

We gave Ian a new pair of jammie pants we made together..well, you know I made them, but the girls helped measure and cut, rolled around in the soft flannel for a bit and took turns sitting on my lap while I sewed.

We then ate some baked french toast, applewood smoked bacon and farmer's market strawberries for breakfast.  With full bellies we headed off with Auntie Sonya to the arboretum.  We had fun exploring the new tree house tales exhibit and thanks to Auntie Sonya actually got a few photos with all 4 of us in the frame for the first time in a LONG time.








Then Ian and Sonya dropped us girls off while they went on a wild goose chase for some Vietnamese sandwiches downtown.  Two and a half hours later they returned!! And boy was that sandwich yummy. Then a tired daddy went down for a nap, but try as I might I couldn't keep his excited girls from him when the woke up.


So we moved the party downstairs for some rhubarb cake and ice cream for afternoon coffee.


Oh my, these two look so much alike to me sometimes.

 

We rounded out the afternoon with some backyard pool fun while Ian headed to the comic book store to pick out a few new books as part 2 of the present extravaganza.  We ate steak, asparagus and mushrooms for dinner and a little more cake for dessert.  Ainsley proudly gave Ian his last gift, a homemade bookmark and an embroidered drawing of her penguin on it.  It was really just such a great day.

I hope all the other dads out there felt loved and a bit spoiled yesterday.  Your job is tough and we sure appreciate you!  I can't wait to give my own dad a belated father's day hug when we're in town next week!

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.