Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Summer's End

We're back from our last summer vacation of the season. It was glorious.

We had near perfect weather at the cabin. I was able to run nearly every day and spend lots of time outdoors with my girls. I waterskiied for the first time in nearly 3 years and my body remembered like it was yesterday. When a down moment in a cool morning presented itself we effortlessly filled time with sandbox play, swinging and berry picking. The girls both loved the lake and Ainsley swam in 25 foot deep water off the pontoon more than once. The shallow shores proved ideal for splashing and jumping the afternoons away.

Perhaps it's so magical because we only get a few quick weeks a year there, but man, in some moments I want to pick up and move on up to the northwoods. That is my kind of existence.






We are currently experiencing re-entry in all it's pent up too much vacation stress and away from normal routines glory. I am feeling completely overwhelmed with all that needs to get done this week. Restocking food and essentials in the house, cleaning and organizing, and on top of that preparing for Louise's first birthday weekend coming up.

The girls on the other hand are in a state of complete bliss. Ainsley ran into the house and immeditalye up to her big girl bed smiles abounding as she found all her her favorite things around the house. Sadly it's raining today so her desperation to get outside and ride her scoot bike will have to wait. Louise crawled and cruized and snuggled around her firmiliar space all evening, then went to bed without a peep.

The morning stress has given way to a slow calm peace. I know my friends won't mind a less than perfect house this weekend, as long as there's cupcakes right? In this moment I'm relishing in the firmiliarily and comfort of home and reliving all of the crazy love and joy of the past weeks.







Watching my biggest little sister, the last of my three, marry her love this weekend was beyond emotional. I welled up constantly watching the sparkle in their eyes as they held hands and basked in the warmth and hope of their promises to each other.

I'm a big fan of marriage. The party and the fun are almost reason enough, but the comittment in front of all the people that mean the most to you is an experience you never forget and keeps you going in those rough patches.

While Julie and Sim listened to wise words and made promises to each other I looked on with happiness and remembrance to my own husband, keeping the two girls in relatively quiet check while I balanced in my three inch red heels.

I've been hard on him the past few days, all that built up tiredness and stress of single parenting for two weeks pouring out on him. But he knows me well. He lets me vent, smiles, gives me the 5 minutes I need to realize how mostly unreasonable I'm being and is right there with me when my mood lightens and brightens.

That's marriage. After all the glitz and glam of the wedding we're left with each other, in each day, in each trying and glorious moment to grow and learn together. When life feels crazy stressful I try to keep my eye on that prize. I have him and we have each other, our family, just us and at the end of the day I just really want to enjoy this ride we're all on together.

Today I am thankful for early errands before the rain, a full fridge and pantry to knock that one off the crazy long list, the rain to help me forget my frantic need to GET IT ALL DONE NOW, my girls to remind me of how great it is to be home and of course Ian. Oh how I missed my boy.

Happy Tuesday!


1 comment:

  1. You're a brilliant writer Becky. I can't wait to join the ranks of motherhood and learn from your past few years.

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.