Thursday, August 4, 2016

Canning!!!

I have wanted to try canning things for a long time.  It seemed like a vital step in the homemaker book that I hadn't conquered.  But bulk farm produce didn't come cheap in Chicago and I could never grow enough of my own to have anything substantial.  This year was the year!








The tomatoes and cucumbers are doing really well this year so I focused on those today.  I ended up pulling all of the beets because a new bunny has found it's way into the garden and was starting to get at them.  I went for super simple recipes for everything.

I slow dried the cherry and roma tomatoes in the oven.  I'll put them in a freezer bag to use for sauces and soups etc.  The heirlooms and beefsteaks we blanched and skinned (the girls were fascinated/delighted by this process) pureed and cooked down into a thick sauce.  It ended up making 4 pints!!!! which I canned in my mom's old canning pot.  I'm so proud of those 4 pints.  I hope they work!

Both recipes almost verbatim (and can I just made a big ole nod to her title of this post? truth!) 

Next up were pickles. I'll admit I totally fumbled with the cucumbers and despite buying traditional pickle sized cucumber seeds I let some grow way too big.  Some hid from me too long, it' wasn't all me I promise!!! In any case I had SO MANY.  So I made 4 quarts and still have three giant cukes and lots more on the vines. Uff dah!  I stumbled across Smitten's recipe for refrigerator dills and it seemed like just what I needed.  Reassured that simple can work I plowed ahead.  I made 2 quarts just like she instructs, one with pickling spice added and once with garlic added.  We tried the garlic and regular dill with dinner and both "tasted like pickles!" as the kids exclaimed.  What tremendous satisfaction.

This was my second go at pickled beets and I was so dismayed to not be able to find/remember the first recipe I'd used (which was stellar).  The one I found was close, but not perfect.  I'll have to keep searching for that keeper!  Still so good though.  If you like pickled things and haven't tried pickled beets you simply must!  They are a favorite of mine.

So now I feel like I can take on a bit more.  It feels good to have at least gotten my feet wet.  Now any great canning recipes for zucchini or cabbage?  I have those coming out of my ears!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.