Monday, January 11, 2016

Winter is Good.
















I am officially feeling desperate for a sense of order around here.  Does anyone recall how long it took them after moving to get a system down for things?  Papers, laundry, cleaning, it all seems so up in the air right now!  It's a little thrilling to think we have the chance for a fresh start here, a bit daunting too.  I'm trying to rekindle the things that worked well for us and revamp the things that need changing.  It feels like a lot right now.

I am eager to get the girls more involved in housework.  I need to let go of my tendancy to do things the way I want them done and let them take part.  I think even a weekly rotation of chores is too much to ask right now, so perhaps just a simple chore or two they are responsible for always.  For me bathroom cleaning and dishes are the hardest to motivate for.  Ian usually sets the table and we all help clear.  I'd also love help with dinner some nights.  I used to be so much better about involving the kids and now in our bigger kitchen I need to make good on my promise to get them cooking more.

I've also been struggling with learning tasks with the kids.  Louise is on the cusp of reading more fluently and Ainsley is at the stage where she'd like to be reading chapter books but it's still a bit of work and she tires after a few pages and gets frustrated.  I'm hoping this winter to get their rooms more in order so that quiet reading time up there is more appealing.  Mostly I'm just letting things go for now and giving in to the urge to explore and nest in our new space.

I all but botched my first pair of pants for Felix on the sewing machine this weekend.  I was so confident in my idea that I just blazed ahead and they are the silliest shape imaginable.  I think for now I'll stick to simpler projects that are needed, gators for Montana and a few more knit hats.  I found a great quick pattern that I made for myself and the girls are envious.  Don't mind if I do!

This week cooking feels a bit unfun again.  I have enough in the fridge that I don't want to overdo it, but nothing sounds terribly exciting.  I'm hoping for inspiration while at dance today with the girls so I can jot down some winners.

I went to Target and ran into my sister which is just stupendous.  Put that in the category of "things that would never happen in Oak Park".  In addition to the needs I bought myself a few new things to wear to church.  I know church doesn't care, but I do that I only have a pair of black pants and two "churchy" sweaters.  These pants I found I may never take off.  I've also found a few very comfy blouses that should dress up those black pants nicely.  Yay Christmas money!

This week I'm excited for venturing into potty training with Felix again (perhaps for real this time?), getting organized, delving into making for this house a bit more.  Winter is good for all of these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.