Monday, January 11, 2016

This Week 1/4

This week has been wonderful so far.
For once I was VERY ready for school to start.  The girls were nervous and I had to lift Louise up onto the bus steps to get her to go but they made it and it's been mostly smooth sailing since.  Felix went back to school Monday as well and I very much enjoyed my solo trip to the co-op and a quiet house to make lots of phone calls.  Mondays the girls have dance.  After getting everything ready and meeting them at the bus stop and ushering them to the car and speeding over I realized they have one more week of break.  Louise cried and the rest of us laughed.  We went to the bakery to get some giant cookies and bread and that pretty much made up for it.

Tuesday night I finally made Giada's Roast Chicken and Ian told me to put it on the list.  "You know, mommy used to make food like this all the time when we were newly married."  I guess my standards have slipped.  I will say anytime I can motivate to make something during nap time I don't regret it.  That chicken was dressed with nicely prepared veggies and all ready in the fridge for Ian to pop in the oven as I took Ainsley, with Louise and Felix, to their new pediatrician.  It was nice to come home to a delicious ready meal!

Yesterday was the best yet.  After taking Felix to school I headed straight to a local fitness center I've been hearing about and signed us all up.  The price is so good, even better with health insurance reimbursement, and there's a splash pad and indoor playground for the kids. I'm kind of over the top excited for having this as an option this winter.

When the girls got home from school Ainsley lingered outside to make fairy homes in the snow while Louise and Felix and I made kale chips for snack.  I'd never made them before as kale is the one leafy green I just really don't like.  I will say I liked it much better all crispy roasted and slightly salty, the kids liked it too.  Then Ainsley came in to join us and we tried a new art project, microwave puffy paint.  They LOVED it and it was pretty easy to set up.  They were able to do it all by themselves (Felix too!), microwave and all.  I love independent projects that hold their attention and challenge their creativity! (It's amazing how just giving them circular plates to paint on rather than rectangular paper changes how they use the white space.)  After that I dumped out a bag of pom poms for a few simple activities. Felix loved dropping them from a paper towel tube into a bowl and then they all loved sweeping them across the floor into a square I'd made with tape.

I've been enjoying some quick knitting projects of late.  Gators for the kids and Ian, finally finishing Felix's sweater, some headbands and a new hat for me.  I'm also trying to get my sewing lined up.  Felix needs a new pair of quick change trousers and I may make some for the girls as well.  It's going to start getting COLD!

We've needed to do nothing moving into this house, which has been lovely, but I find it's leaving me antsy to put our stamp on it.  For now I'm excited to make a few new valances for the dining rooms, and eventually the living room, and some for Ainsley's room as well.  I'd never thought to make valances before but all of our bedrooms have simple pull shades and valances and I love them.  It give the windows a bit of interest without blocking too much light. Oh and the LIGHT in this house!  We are situated on a small hill.  The front of the house gets the morning sun and the back gets the evening sun, with the dining room, powder room and kitchen getting light all day long.  I can't even imagine in summer how bright and wonderful it's going to be.  On the few bluebird days we've had it's been glorious.

I've also been couch shopping.  We're one living space short in seating and once we take the Christmas trees out of the living room it's going to feel so bare!  I'm excited to continue to settle in and add our own touches.

Today I am VERY excited to take Felix to the fitness center for the first time.  He can't wait for the splash pad and playground.  I'm excited to try out the nursery and get a little work out in if possible.  I'm really loving not having too much scheduled with the kids.  I love having time afterschool wtih all three to do fun things and play and my mornings with Felix to do more of the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.